Existing Member?

Mare

"How easy...know the place I'm leaving, and the rest is just gone" -Guster

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 25 June 2008 | Views [1240] | Comments [2]

So I'm approximately 87 hours from arriving in Dayton.

Three days and maybe 16 hours until I'm sitting in my house with my family and my friends and my dog and my big comforter.

I'm only 60 hours from getting into the taxi in front of 129 Burwood Hwy, Burwood Ghetto, VIC Australia and leaving for good.

I'm just 39 hours from my final exam that I have yet to study for because I don't want to waste the time that I could be spending with Paris and Grace and Danny and Jewell and Sean and Tish.

Lindsay and I are pretty much all packed up.  We left out the essentials and are hoping our bags zip up.  I don't think it's possible to hit the weight limit since we pretty much only have clothes.  I guess the good news is that I don't need to pack for my new apartment.  I already have a lot of it stored away.  So that's good...

Soon I'll be home.  And it will be warm.  And I will be happy.  I will be so happy.

But I'm also really worried about leaving.  Because to me, I'm coming home to all the people I haven't seen in 5 months and all the places I haven't been and all the things I haven't done and I'm leaving behind all the people I've met and all the places I've gone and all the things I worked so very very hard for...and to everyone else, June 28th is just the day that Mary and Lindsay come home.  Two little girls.  Pretty small, pretty important, but just two people.  We fit in easily for everyone else.  But it will be so weird for me.

I've been planning and earning money for and organizing and worrying about and going through and experiencing and figuring out and living eating breathing Australia for over a year, and now it's over.  All that planning, all that stress, all that hard work.  The whole thing is over.  Full stop.

And I'm excited about chicken fingers from Chumps with Valerie, and I'm excited about being in the same room as Josh and Chris and Casey and Monica all at once, and I'm excited about earning money and I'm excited about getting to see my whole family on vacation and I'm excited for the seasons and the weather and the manners and the attitudes and the food that I'm used to knowing but I've been here so long that maybe I'm used to this way of living too.

It was strange moving out of the Honors Dorm because it was my room with Monica for so long.  And it was strange leaving 3D because SO MUCH had happened there and it was strange leaving Cristina's because we MADE our room there.

It's going to be the worst leaving 129 though, because inside are Paris and Grace and Danny and Jewell and Sean and Tish and the things that made being here worthwhile.

After June 28th, Australia just becomes another pin on my map.  Maybe I'll put two there to emphasize it's importance.

There are the ups and downs to everything though and Australia both all at once.  Like how I won't miss the crazy weather or the insistent happiness and simultaneous rudeness of Australia.

I'm home in THREE DAYS and I can't WAIT and I could wait for ever.

Comments

1

Oh Mary - the lovely confusing mishmash of emotions that come with this. Good luck with the deluge. Come see me!

  Allison Jun 27, 2008 6:51 AM

2

That describes me pretty well on a normal day; minus the Australia.

  Stuart Jul 1, 2008 3:41 AM

About marge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.