Existing Member?

Mare

aaaand lame

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 16 April 2008 | Views [374] | Comments [2]

Dear All,

Further to my previous email regarding travel concessions, I regret to tell you that I have since been informed that under no circumstances are we to issue documentation to Study Abroad students.   I can only apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused many of you.

Customer Service and the Division of Student Administration staff have clarified with the Transport Authority (government body which manages travel concession matters) that Study Abroad students are not entitled to travel concession.

All students that come through USAC are considered 'Study Abroad', because they are fee paying.  When students apply for the student concession card at the train station, they are required to present either their offer letter or their COE, both of which state that they have been offered a place at Deakin as 'Study Abroad' students.  

The students who come to Deakin on 'Exchange' are those nominated by their home institution with whom we have a reciprocal agreement.  These are non fee-paying students.  Basically a Deakin student and a student from another institution exchange, or swap places for a semester.  

Full-fee paying international students are not eligible for any student concessions on the Victorian Public Transport (VPT) system and unfortunately this includes 'study abroad' students.  Students who are studying in Australia as a part of an Exchange program are entitled to the concession as they are taking the place of an Australian student who has also gone abroad.  

These are state government regulations that Deakin University, nor any other Victorian university has any control over.  I've attached the link to 'Metlink', the Melbourne metropolitan transport authority which will take you directly to their literature regarding student concessions.  I know this seems unfair, but again this is something that really is out of our control.

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/fares_tickets/concessions/students 

Apart from students lobbying the government, there is no solution to this problem in the immediate future, however with the recent changeover in our government, hopefully we shall see some changes.

I hope this makes sense for you, please let me know if you require additional information 

Again,  my humblest apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Kind regards

Caitlyn

Comments

1

Dear Ms. Caitlyn Smith:
With regards to your letter of April 15th, please know that I bear no hard feelings towrad the state government or the transport authority. Indeed, had misinformation from Deakin staff not resulted in a loss of the on-campus housing I had been promised by Deakin University and the need to secure more expensive off-campus housing at the last minute, I should not have been concerned with purchasing a transport pass at the full rate.
I'm glad to hear that you find this situation unfair, and I hope you will agree with me that the best way to rectify the situation at this point is for Deakin to refund the difference between the monthly full fare pass and the student rate from the considerable fees I have already paid.
Thank you for your continuing efforts,

   - mom Apr 16, 2008 8:57 PM

2

I'm on board with your mom here.
Stand firm, little lady :)

  amy Apr 16, 2008 11:01 PM

About marge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.