Existing Member?

Mare

Education? Or schmeducation?

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 3 April 2008 | Views [313] | Comments [1]

My mom says she is Mary's blog deprived so I'm trying to think of something to write. I currently feel like crap and I hate school. I don't really HATE it but I'm tired to bs-ing why I think that Max fits the under-dog stereo type in Where the Wild Things Are and why that same book promotes a violent form of masculinity. And I'm tired of classes where they tell me that I should start my papers with the phrase "This essay is going to be about..." That's bull. Now I'm going to take a moment and show you the things that are baffling me. For my one children's literacy class we have to make a "multimodal artifact" and on the Deakin Studies Online website my instructor posted examples for us. "here is a good example!" says the tag line. This is the good example: "This is my multimodal artifact created for ECL210. As teachers, I believe it is vital that we are aware of the fact that no child we come across in our time will be the same..." Here is "another GREAT example!": "I have decided to focus on this main problem of all Prep students having different literacy background, because I believe that it would have to be one of the teachers’ greatest challenges....As a Prep teacher, it is necessary to accommodate for all of this prior learning or lack of prior learning, and begin from the first stage: Beginning. I believe that initially it is necessary for all students to begin at the Beginning, regardless of their current literacy level..." Now here's my issue. It's HORRIBLE But everyone is saying that school in Australia is way harder and I need to be careful to work at it and they have such high standards...blah blah blah. If they have such high standards than why does everyone so AWFUL. I feel bad. But it's bad. It's really bad. Do I have to write like this to do well? They keep telling me to use topic sentences and linking sentences, all of which I'm PRETTY sure I learned in 6th grade and had driven into me in Mr. Mauch's overly religious version of an English class in 10th and 12th grade. I'm PRETTY sure I know what I'm doing. But we don't write like that anymore. You weren't really even supposed to when we were learning what those things were. But this freaky university wants me to. In other news I twisted my foot or something in that area while trying to run and catch a train last night. And then it hurt so bad I threw up. That was gross. It looks alright and feels better. But we missed the tram and had to wait a half hour in the cold for a new one. There was a terrible wind storm yesterday. They closed Uni because all the power went out and I literally was holding onto a pole so I didn't blow away. You think I'm kidding but I'm not. I also got sand in my eye and Johan lost his hat and there wasn't any sushi left and since he is glutton intolerant he couldn't eat anything else. So I suppose his day was worse than mine. This is a clip about the wind storm: "Winds gusting up to 132km/h are blowing across much of Southern Australia, causing intensive damage to infrastructure and power lines. As many as 200,000 people are without power in Melbourne and at least two people were reported killed during the storms." I had to climb through a tree that fell over on my walk to class today. It was very much like climbing a tree, but I never went up. Other than that I'm tired and I think I'm going to take a nap. I think I might be coming down with something? Or maybe I'm just tired...

Mary

PS I don't know what my title means.

PPS Mom if you have a spare extension cord (not long, just 4 feet or so) could you possibly mail it in your next package?  I have to sit on the floor in order to use my computer plugged in)  Also, I love you.  Thanks for the apartment help.

PPPS Monica and Katie and I are living together! What fun!

Comments

1

Where are you living when you come home?

I would have a hard time writing like that. It's tacky, childish and sounds kind of crappy.
rather than telling your prof that you think their way of writing sucks, would it be possible to turn in an essay a little early, under the context of "this is how I'm used to doing it, it's a little different than here, would you mind looking it over and letting me know what you think?" And if it's good, then great but if they ask you to change it you might have to lower your english standards there.
Good luck!

  Kara Apr 6, 2008 12:58 AM

About marge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.