Existing Member?

Mare

Peanut butter and revelations

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 22 February 2008 | Views [843] | Comments [1]

Casey's letter came today.  It brightened up everything, even though it's a cloudy day.

Danny (our housemate) and Lindsay and I are going to go out tonight.  I'm not sure where but he says he has an idea of where to go.  He's from Sydney so he doesn't know much of what's going on either.

Thanks for your email mom, and yes I read your blog.  RELIGIOUSLY.  And the $800 more was an exaggeration from frustration.  The gas money transferring to tram ticket money will be a lifesaver (for me anyway).  I appreciate it.  Did you look on my desk for the traveler's checks?  Did I even mention that?  I can't keep straight what I think and what I actually send.  I am happier everyday and figuring it out.  Right now I'm just starving though.  All we have is peanut butter really. I bought a jar of sliced peaches though and some canned veggies and some spaghetti (of course).

Ellen you commented that the monthly pass was 15 passes?  Where did you get that idea from?  I haven't seen that anywhere...I don't want to buy a monthly and be losing money.  Maybe you meant it's worth is 15 passes?

I drew some pictures today and read my book I brought and enjoyed the weather.  I also started writing some snail mail to all ya'll.  I think paper correspondence is way better than travel blogs any day.  I wonder how much I can stuff into an envelope and still have it pass the weight limit.  Jonas and Matt both texted me today which is exciting.  Granted Matt is forever away on the Geelong campus but soon here we're going to figure out how to get there to visit.

We are still figuring out this prepaid phone thing but all I know is texting is WAY cheaper than calling.  You think I'm a good texter now?  Wait till I come home!  Except this phone is really strange and texts come out looking like this "WHEN doyou WANT to GO OUT TO EAT? i23am HUNGRY NOW" with random capitalized words and numbers everywhere.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

I need to shower if we're going out in public.  I can't afford looking this horrible when out and about.  No one will ever be friends with someone who hasn't showered and has peanut butter breath.

I decided today (whilst writing to Casey, thanks Case - it was like a one sided version of our heart-to-hearts through pen) that I'm looking at this all wrong.  I'm just not used to this non-humanitarian, non-bohemian way of travel.  Beaches?  Sun?  Fun?  Where are all the sad little children needing flouride?  Where is the constant flow of foreign language?  Why is there no one to help?  I feel like I'm not being changed/effected/learning.  I may not being perfecting Spanish in Costa Rica, or climbing mountains to build latrines in Guatemala or building friendships and parks in Russia but things are changing.  I just don't think I'll realize it until I come home after 5 months of being 10,000 miles from home (how far am I anyway? 8,000? 10,000?) and overcoming obstacle after obstacle on my own.  That's something that I'd never learn in Dayton, Ohio.  I need to go out of my comfort zone.  I might have gone a bit far...but it will do.

Danny is talking about going to see Phantom of the Opera in the theater here.  He's a real musical theater buff.  Well maybe not a buff...he became a fan with the Wicked generation (big sigh from the Muse Machine kis) anyway...I might go along just for something familiar and pleasing.  (depending on costs!)

I miss you all : ) and I'm really craving some Qdoba tacos.  That may or may not be the thing that I request on the way home from the airport.  I'll keep you update though!  It's going to be a tough call. Good thing I have another four months to figure it out.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

glad things are changing for the better :) yippie!!!!

  steve Feb 22, 2008 11:14 PM

About marge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.