Existing Member?

Mare

We know nothing.

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 17 February 2008 | Views [786] | Comments [5]

So we FORCED Josh from Mass. to meet up with us today at the library on campus.  We went and bought contact solution for Lindsay and some peanut butter and jelly for us so we can at least have SOME food.  I don't feel at home here so I feel strange using the kitchen.  It was worse than how I felt rude using Cristina's kitchen.  Like I ASKED if I could borrow a knife from the guy that lives downstairs.  He must think I'm nuts.

We ended up going to back to International House (I-house) where we were supposed to live with Josh.  His place is AMAZING.  And there's an awesome pool and everyone just walks into each other's houses and introduces themselves.  Josh says a lot of cool people live there but today the people were kind of strange.  They could only talk about how much alcohol the have consumed while they are here.  It was boring.  I met a guy from Zimbabwe though...didn't really talk but I still thought it was neat.

Everyone who is at I-house knows all this stuff.  Like apparently there were advisors on campus ALL week this week to help international students adjust but we didn't get to our house until like 4:30 on Friday so we would have never been able to meet up with them.  But USAC told us to come this day.  Everyone at I-house knows things like apparently you can't go in a lot of places without shoes and you have to look nicer.  No one told me....everyone was shocked I didn't bring heels but why would I?  I don't wear them.  My ballet flats look dumb and I feel out of place.  

There is also apparently an orientation on THURSDAY that no one told us about.  If we hadn't HAPPENED to meet Josh on the plane we would have NEVER found that out and would have missed registering for classes.  

AND apparently on this beach orientation we either sleep in a hostel, in a tent on the beach, or in a hotel and they pick randomly.  It's not a big deal but these people (all mainly from UMass) know all this stuff and we don't.

I'm having a great time and I feel blessed and I feel horrible for complaining but Lindsay and I spent a FORTUNE to come here and everyone else spent the SAME amount of money but they are all well informed.  They have all been to the city, they all have cell phones already, they know where the grocery is, they know how to use the tram.  Lindsay and I have had to do EVERYTHING on our own.

I just hope I get to HAVE a wonderful experience like I planned and Lindsay and I don't end up forced to spent every night in this god awful hot room alone because we live 35 minutes from everyone else.

Hopefully it all brightens up tomorrow.

At least we have ONE friend.

Tags: I should have known better!

Comments

1

When you get back you need to write some NASTY letters to the people who supposedly helped you at WSU. If you need help, let me know and I'll write some for you ;-)
Love you!

  Joshu Feb 18, 2008 9:40 AM

2

I'm sure your ballet flats are beautiful. Never let anyone tell you different.

  Stuart Feb 18, 2008 10:18 AM

3

Poor mare and lindz! WSU Usac people are idiots..i cant believe the way your trip is going so far, but maybe now that youre there people will feel bad for you and help you out more, so you dont have to do everything on your own. I mean you did pay the same amount as everyone else, why should you have to live off of P&B sandwiches and live with smelly boys? I love you and im praying things get better for you girls! HANG IN THERE MATES!
-love sherry

  Moni Feb 19, 2008 4:26 AM

4

ok so my bad on not telling you about the shoes thing. just didnt think of it at all being a guy, sorry!! also, you need to call rob like now! he will help you guys like get real food and stuff, and get set up. and he will know people who go to deakin who can help you lots more!!! please call him now so you can start enjoying your experience. also call my sister, she will help you too, she's expecting your call: 0409804636.
Hope it all works out!

  Nick Feb 19, 2008 12:30 PM

5

oh babe you'll get the hang out of it. it's just one big adventure :) i love you and miss the hell out of you and your perfect ballet flats.

  Valerie Feb 19, 2008 2:51 PM

About marge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.