Existing Member?

A Kiwi in Kenya My adventure volunteering in Kenya 2012

Reflections

KENYA | Monday, 31 December 2012 | Views [414] | Comments [3]

It has been one week since I arrived back in Sydney and each day I miss Kenya more. I see the children’s faces in my mind all the time and wish I could be back with them. The other night I couldn’t sleep – jetlag has hit quite hard this way around the globe – and spent my awake hours figuring out how soon I can go back.

It was tough to say goodbye to the family on Saturday. Francis drove me to the airport and Anna, Wambui and Kennedy came along too. More tears. As I hugged him goodbye Francis said, “promise me you’ll come back” and I did. Have to keep my promise don’t I? It was a long flight (or 3) home with spontaneous crying episodes all the way through. Could we please just turn the plane around? Thank you very much.

It is strange being back, particularly at this time of year when consumerism is at an all time high. There is something comforting about familiarity so coming back to Ebony’s (my best friend) was wonderful as was seeing Owen and the children but it feels different from when I left, I’m different I suppose. Strangest of all was the guilt I felt on Christmas Day while eating lunch. There was so much food; incredibly delicious food that I could keep going back to until I just couldn’t physically fit in anymore and all I could think was “imagine how many people this could feed”. “How can I be enjoying all of this when so many are starving?”

I look around the city and imagine what a difference it would make if all these people would donate just a little money and wonder how I can let them all know about the amazing work Lucy does. I want to buy lottery tickets, which I have probably done only three times in my life, so there is a tiny chance to win money that could help.

I went to see Les Miserables at the movies today (brilliant by the way) and could only think of little Moses and Brian and Joseph and Bobo etc when Jean Val Jean takes Cosette away to live a better life.

This experience has changed my perspective on, well, everything. Life is really all about love, connections and relationships. That’s what matters; taking care of and giving to others; sharing laughter, tears, joy and experiences with new and old friends and family. I know I need to find work, earn some money, find a place to live and make a life here but I’m never going to stop wanting to go back to those people who have made such an impact on me. In the meantime, I am going to do all I can to spread the word about Gathiga and Kihara orphanages and encourage people to give anything they can to give these children the best chance in life. In case you want to start now ;-) you can donate via PayPal at https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=qBXXJFmcE-dPDJ3TCxvleL1sS8za54klMpql0PlroUuyXgwZrs6a1QORCZW&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d0b7e678a25d883d0fa72c947f193f8fd

Ok, so now what happens? I have two articles/pieces, whatever they are going to be, to write which I hope you read (you can send me a comment to let me know you’d like to receive it when it’s done – actually you can post a comment anyway just to say hi if you like :-), one about the IDP Camp and one about Lucy and the orphanages, I find a fantastic job, I write to my new friends and family in Kenya at least every week and I save furiously to head back to where pieces of my heart now reside.

Thank you all so much for reading my Kenya diary. It has been a thrill to log in and see that people have actually viewed my posts! Thanks! May your 2013 be filled with love because ultimately, that’s all you really need.

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens

Comments

1

Marcella this has been quite a journey to read about. I am so inspired by what Lucy is doing, I want to redirect the giving I already do, about $60NZ a month, to the orphanage. Will you leave the PayPal thing in place long term so that we can set up a recurring payment?
With much love, Maryanne

  Maryanne Cathro Dec 31, 2012 6:10 AM

2

Wow, that's amazing! Thank you so much Maryanne!! The account isn't one I've set up, it is a permanent PayPal account set up by Lucy's daughter in Germany. She and her husband have set up a fundraising organization there for Lucy and the orphanages. They collect and give her the money. Again, thank you so very much, you don't know how much that will mean to them xxx

  marciechiwi Dec 31, 2012 11:16 AM

3

Hi Marcella,
I'd love you receive a copy of your articles to read when you have them finished! I sent you a message on facebook while you were still in Kenya, I'm thinking it went to your 'other' section instead of your inbox because we’re not facebook friends, so I thought I'd paste it below:
I know you have no idea who I am, but I’ve been following your blog throughout your time in Kenya. I just wanted to say thank you, thank you for everything you’ve shared in your blog. I’m going to Kenya in May and you’re blog has helped me feel less nervous about going and has given me a bit of an idea of what to expect. When I start to worry about going and ask myself what I am doing this for, I go to your blog and read what you’ve wrote, and it reassures me and actually makes me excited to go. I faithfully check your blog each day for updates, and can honestly say that I’m going to miss it when you’re home. Thanks again for everything, I hope you have a good last few days and a safe flight home!

  Kelsey Jan 5, 2013 2:26 PM

About marciechiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.