Existing Member?

A Kiwi in Kenya My adventure volunteering in Kenya 2012

Asante Kenya

KENYA | Sunday, 23 December 2012 | Views [545]

It is my last night in Kenya. Tomorrow I go back to Australia and back to what I knew before I left on this big adventure but I like to think I’m not going back as the same person. Ok, maybe I’m still the crazy Kiwi who loves to sing and dance and adores her friends and family but I’m now also the Kiwi who has been changed by this incredible experience. The people I have met will stay in my heart and my life forever. I couldn’t have hoped for a better adventure.

As some will know, I planned my time so I could celebrate my 40th birthday here in Kenya. Wednesday night (19th) came and Anna and Agnes insisted we stay up till midnight so we could see in my 41st year. We sat in their room watching a movie. I kind of knew they had something planned but no idea what. At about 5 to 12 they both feigned having to go to the toilet or something then minutes later came in with a heart-shaped cake with candles singing Happy Birthday      :-) They are super gorgeous! It was just so beautiful! I’m so lucky to be sharing my time here with them. They are both 19 but both say I act just like them so seem like their age – heh, I wish! We watched the end of the movie munching on a little bit of cake then I headed to bed. Turning 40 in Kenya is pretty fantastic.

The next day we decided to buy the kids a whole heap of fruit as my present to them on my birthday. It was Thursday so market day in Wangige. We bought 30 mangos, 30 oranges and 40 bananas for 500 shillings! That’s only about $6! When we got to the orphanage I had the best welcome. Little Moses was walking along, saw me, broke into a huge smile, said “Marcella!” and promptly took my hand. When Joseph saw me he literally ran and threw himself at me. Now he is 10 so not exactly small! Bobo wanted a cuddle and to be picked up so I had a group of little angels with me from the moment I got there. The kids had all just had lunch so the timing of giving out the fruit was perfect. We all went into the classroom and one of the mamas explained that I had brought them fruit, as it was my birthday. They all clapped and cheered then sang me Happy Birthday. We handed it all out so they had 3 pieces each. I was asked to say a few words so just told them that they had filled my heart with love and joy, that I would never forget them and thanked them for being so wonderful. And yes, I may have cried a little, but you know, it’s emotional!! I went and sat with them and had a little crowd of kiddies with me all enjoying their fruit. They don’t get it very much at all as it is expensive and they can’t afford it.

We had decided the day before that we would go to the Massai Market at Junction that afternoon as a few of us wanted to get some more souvenirs. The other two volunteers were planning to come with us but through a series of timing issues and indecisions they didn’t end up coming and the three of us got there quite late, hmm. Anyway, it was enough time to bargain and pick up some nice things before heading to Planet Yoghurt. When we got there, a group of people, mostly Americans, was singing Happy Birthday to someone in their group. When they walked past us I asked whose birthday it was and told them it was my birthday too so they proceeded to sing me Happy Birthday as well! Heh.

We then went off to Nakumatt (love that store!) to pick up some not-so-essentials and caught a taxi home. It was a quiet evening chatting and then to bed. What a wonderful day.

Friday

The family had arrived home from Mombassa early in the morning so were in the house when we got up. Agnes’ family was arriving in Nairobi that day so she didn’t come with us to the orphanage. The other two volunteers (Hope and Lureen) were off into Nairobi to stay the night there before their safari so Anna and I went with Dorkus, Ann, Lucy and Moses to the orphanage. As usual it was a fantastic day. I had bought balloons the day before so we gave those out to the kiddies and they seemed to enjoy them. I went out to help prepare the rice and sang with Dorkus cuddled kiddies, chatted with Lucy and the mamas and generally had a beautiful time. It was past lunchtime by now and I was feeling like I was avoiding the inevitable – saying goodbye. So I bit the bullet and started the farewells. Oh good Lord it was tough. I was such a crybaby; I just didn’t want to leave them. I hugged the children so much I’m surprised they didn’t fight to get away! The mamas told me I had to come back as did Dorkus and Ann. I think I’m going to have to. I stood at the gate for a bit and the kiddies came down to wave goodbye. Little Moses kept giving me kisses. Anna got a great photo on camera for me. I’m never going to forget everyone there. They have enriched my life so much, it has been one of the best experiences I have ever had and I’m so very grateful.

Anna and I caught the matatu home and chilled out for a bit. Agnes and her family came to the house; it was lovely to meet them. Mum, dad and 4 sisters! I was upstairs for a bit and Kennedy and Moses came up to say Happy Birthday for yesterday. Kennedy gave me a gorgeous necklace, which I absolutely love. They said they would sing me Happy Birthday but downstairs. When I came down there were all these balloons on the table and a beautiful cake that had “Happy 40th Birthday” on it with candles! I was so touched! The family had felt bad that they were away for my birthday and wanted to celebrate with me. I tried not to cry, can’t remember if I actually managed not to. What a wonderful last night. Agnes and her family headed back to their hotel, I interviewed Lucy some more then it was time for bed.

I can’t even explain how much this time has meant to me. Not only because of the amazing people I have met but also because of the confidence I have gained on my travels. I was quite nervous about it all at the beginning as I would be far away from my support system and would be so far out of my comfort zone but my fears were unwarranted and I have gained so much. I don’t think I want to stop travelling now that I know I can do it. Where to next?

Goodbye Kenya, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Nakupenda– I love you.

About marciechiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.