Existing Member?

Trials & Tribulations of Trailer Trash

Katherine is Gorge...ous!!!

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 22 July 2009 | Views [358]

We stayed in a very nice caravan park, with a strange name...Low Level Caravan Park, in Katherine.  We had prebooked it and were wondering what we would find ...but we were very pleasantly surprised.

We stayed two nights and yesterday went out to the Gorge for a cruise. We packed some beer, wine and nibbles and spent a wonderful four hours enjoying the sights and sounds of Nitmiluk (Katherine Gorge). We were assured that it was alright to swim, that they keep a close watch for “salties” and that they had only had to “relocate 4 in the last 20 years”. That was 4 too many as far as I was concerned, although I did take off my shoes and socks and paddled  to cool down my burning feet . We did have to walk between gorges. There was no way I was swimming though, and neither was David. Mind you, I did feel quite justified when I spotted a two metre long “freshie” sunning itself in the shallows. They say that fresh water crocs wont hurt you! Huh!! “saltie” or “freshie”.....they are all bloody crocodiles as far as I can tell!!!!!

We are on the road now to Kununurra. The amazing red escarpments that can be seen from the road are absolutely breathtaking. Its been a long day driving today....but we are just pulling in to Kununurra....more later....

About lynn_david


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.