Existing Member?

Trials & Tribulations of Trailer Trash

Done Darwin!

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 19 July 2009 | Views [442] | Comments [2]

Darwin is a small, but very liveable city, I think, beautifully located on Darwin harbour. We went out on the harbour on an old Pearling Lugger to watch the sunset. It was beautiful ! Very romantic.....with about 30 other people,....until the Skipper announced that the ships steering had broken and it was going to be a tricky exercise getting back to the wharf!! Then we sat very quietly watching the lights of Darwin getting closer and closer, watching out for other vessels....  and all applauded the Captain when we pulled up to the dock...with the assistance of First Mate David, ....who was nominated to “ heave ho” (throw...for those uninitiated) the rope to the man standing on the wharf....”and don’t drop it in the water!!”

We also visited the Northern Territory Museum and Gallery which was very interesting with its Cyclone Tracy Exhibit (brought back where we were and what we were doing, when we heard the news....we had the milkbar at Coolangatta)  and the stuffed crocodile “Sweetheart” on display. Whoa!!!.....that was one big croc!!!!! Some of the Aboriginal Art there was some of the best I’ve ever seen. Just stunning. Notwithstanding the ancient aboriginal rock art sites that we have visited also. Some of those make you understand  why these places are World Heritage listed. They are amazing.

We walked and walked and walked the streets of Darwin.

Today we say farewell to Darwin and hello Katherine!

Comments

1

great to see that you are having a fan-fabulous time treking this amazing country that we call home:)
the photos are stunning and the annecdotes are entertaining (to say the least) :-). enjoy your time -and keep safe
lots-a-luv
nik,brett,mj and lachie xoxox

  simos from eastern hghts Jul 21, 2009 11:43 AM

2

Thank you for the photos, you have some very nice snaps. With all this romance going on it sounds like you are really starting to enjoy the caravaning holiday. Darwin is one of the places that i would like to go to when we join the grey nomads or trailer trash. All is well here, saw dad yesterday and spoke to mum today, both are going good. I have still been busy at work. I need to keep myself busy because I'm giving up smokeing. Well its bye for now keep the photos coming. Lots of love Julie

  Julie Jul 21, 2009 12:04 PM

About lynn_david


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.