Existing Member?

Frozen Toes What is it that you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

Ancient Wonders

GREECE | Thursday, 20 September 2007 | Views [598]

     I take the bus to Tripiti and walk down a narrow road that snakes through a neighborhood.  This spits me onto a dirt road that eventually turns to polished cobbles and I wonder where it leads.  I come upon a sign that humbly announces the site of the discovery of Venus de Milo (Milos is the island where I am staying).  Venus de Milo was a 4th century BC statue of Aphrodite that was found by a Greek farmer in an olive grove in 1820.

    I walk a little further to find an ancient theatre overlooking the sea.  It is a fairly small semicircle: 6 sections of seats with 7 rows of seats overlooking a pit perhaps 8ft deep.  A small chipped column stands on the left and large pieces of fallen etched stone lie on what looks like a raised platform across from the seats.  A few sections of high rocky walls are set behind the seats. Just another surprise at the end of a dirt road.  I sit here alone and wonder......... 

Tags: Sightseeing

About lynn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.