Existing Member?

Frozen Toes What is it that you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

Guardian Angels

ITALY | Thursday, 25 October 2007 | Views [733] | Comments [3]

     After several days of exploring and relishing the cliffs of Cinque Terre, I awaken to a determined drizzle and decide NOT to rent a bicycle and do the loops I had planned.  Instead, I buy a train ticket to Pompeii...it is time to explore some volcanic history! 

     My train from Levanto is 20 minutes late, but not to worry, as my connection to Naples...the birthplace of pizza and center of the Italian mafia (there is your answer, Jordan)is late as well.  I feel I can relax!  As the train drones on through the drizzle and heads south towards the heel of the boot, it seems to lose time and I realize I will need to spend the night in Naples.  I have done a bit of reading and even before now, I know that I DON'T want to arrive here at night!  I am unable to stop the speeding train and now will have to deal with somewhere I dont want to be at a time I don't want to be there. 

     Aaaahhhh, but all is not lost.  I discuss my predicament with the man sitting next to me and in his wonderful Italian way, he leans across me to ask the man on the other side of the aisle about taxis and hotels.  This man has no answer, so he proceeds to go up the aisle and ask others on the train.  This is so wonderfully typical of the people here!  Before I know it, he has found someone who is going to Naples who has volunteered to help. 

     I still feel a bit of unease about the whole situation....whether it is my new found helpers body piercings, his Elvis sideburns, or his riveted white outfit with matching bracelet...I don't quite know.....

     All is not lost!  As the train stops in Rome to pick up more passengers, Sister Katerina sits next to me and speaks perfect English!  We have a wonderful chat, as she worked in Calcutta with Mother Theresa for several years and is a delightful nun from Pakistan.  She chuckles when I ask her if the Pope goes to confession....she supposes so!  We get to Naples and 4 more nuns are waiting for her.  She introduces us and we all walk out towards the taxis together.  The head nun warns me about Naples and finds me a taxi.......

     Safe at last...the smell of pizza wafting into my 7th story window from somewhere below!  And....are those fireworks that I hear or Guido taking care of business?

Tags: People

Comments

1

Ah, finally, to the only place on Earth... Italy. The people, the food, the beauty. Watch what you say about Guido, he could be a relative of mine!!!

I don't like this blog thing. You don't write the same way as you usually do. I guess I'll have to wait till you return to know the rest of the story. When do you meet your mom?
Love L

  Lauren Giusti Oct 25, 2007 10:40 PM

2

Finally have logged onto your blog and am enjoying catching up on your travels. Sounds wonderful and am glad for your Guardian Angels in Naples. I have met some of Lauren's relatives and you should be afraid.:)

Eat some pizza for me!

di

  Diana Oct 25, 2007 11:22 PM

3

Hope your enjoy your travels, the reading is wonderful. Enjoy your travels and be safe. Weather trying to find winter. A little snow on the big hill.

DW

  DW Nov 1, 2007 3:07 AM

About lynn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.