Existing Member?

Trip of a lifetime

Uruguay 1st week.

URUGUAY | Saturday, 11 October 2014 | Views [368]

Another 24 hrs of traveling and we're finaly here. We grabbed a bus at the airport to take us to Tres Cruces bus station and waited a couple hours for a bus to La Paloma. There are 3 companies that do the route so we took the earliest one. By this time Josh is feeling pretty unwell, sore throat, really tired. Im thinking it's just a cold, no big deal. He always gets sick when we travel so nothing new. Finally we're on the bus and after 14 hrs we're both pretty exhausted so I doze off figuring I have around 2 hrs. We travelled through several towns but no La Paloma. we've been the bus for over 2 hrs and I'm getting a little panicky. Finally about 3 1/2 hrs in Josh sees a sign La Paloma 30 km. Im so relieved!  Now we just have to find the hostel and we're home free. Sincewe dont have cell service and no address I have no idea how we're going to do that but one thing at a time. When we arrive we try to borrow a phone froma counter clerk but he looks at us like we're crazy and says use the pay phone. Well that would be great if we had a card for it!  next we try a taxi driver but he doesnt have a phone.  Fortunately his buddy does and they make a call for us. First they no have idea where we're going but finally he realizes where it is and gives directions. Im so tired at this point we throw our bags in the car and he takes us the 3 blocks!  

Josh is feeling really sick by know so he goes straight to bed. That night he gets severe chills and pain all over his body. I was up every few hours giving him meds for the pain but there wasnt much else I could do. He gets worse with clogged sinuses and a bad cough and hes so tired he can hardly get up to pee. He was like that for 2 more days and I was getting pretty worried but he started to improve on Friday so hopefully weve seen the worst of it. He always manages to get some funky illness and scare the crap out of me. 

This a cool little town but its early in the season so not much is open. Its probably bustling in the summer.

The hostel is okay, pretty grungy and needs lots of work but thats what workaways are for!  Ive just been cleaning and getting rooms ready for new guests. Lots of people expected this weekend. Its very humid here so unfortunately everything rusts or goes mouldy, like the wood baseboards and  linoleum on the shower stall walls. Sihiana, the owner is very friendly and speaks some English but she is not here much so were not getting as much work as I hoped. With Josh sick ive been pretty bored. So just to add some excitement we had a break-in. The TV was stolen along with my HDMI cable and multi adaptor for my tablet. That really sucks. I guess I also left my wallet out, just my small one but it had about $50 in it. Stupid!  Ill be more carefull now.  The owners laptop was also taken with all her business info.  Cops were here but just like at home theres nothing they can do. 

Not sure how long were going to stay. Once Josh is well we'll figure it out.  We havent been to the beach yet either but it looks like its mostly for the surfers.   Pics to come. 

 

About lthom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.