Existing Member?

Trip of a lifetime

Montevideo

URUGUAY | Thursday, 30 October 2014 | Views [281]

Our second week in La Paloma was pretty uneventful. Josh spent most of it in bed so I was on my own. Walked the beach, did some cleaning and a lot of reading. We painted the kithcen the last couple days we were there and then hopped on a bus to Montevideo. I managed to get a decent hostel called El Viajero (the traveler). Pretty cool place, great staff that were really helpful. We spent a few days exploring the city, on foot of course. It's starting to wear thin. Montevideo is a nice city, the usual old crumbling brick etc. but obviously more economically well off. Pretty much everything is available. Certainly they have their share of homeless and no go neighbourhoods but the people are very friendly and try to be very helpful. Numerous time we were approached by people asking if we need help to get somewhere. The big thing in Uruguay and Argentina is Parilla, barbecue. There is a market that has several Parilla stands and since we seem to be following in Anthony Bordain's footsteps we had to go there. Like many things reality doesn't measure up to the urban myth. We got a platter of various kinds of barbequed meats. I ate the sausage, chicken and a bit of fatty beef. Josh tried the blood sausage along with all the bits and pieces of intestine etc. He wasn't taken with any of it but at least he can say he tried it! One day we took a very long walk to the beach but unfortunately there was nowhere to change. I couldn't stand the thought of wearing my bathing suit under my dress, I get hot enough as it is so I was stuck. I looked everywhere for a corner I could discretly change my clothes but no luck so I just stood in the ocean with my dress pulled up to my thighs to cool off. There are some beautiful old buildings but unfortunately they seem to be more inclined to knock them down and rebuild modern ones rather than restoring the old ones. As a result there is a real mix of old and new. We went to see the temple one day and it's in a really nice neighbourhood. We could have been in many neighbourhoods at home. Nice homes and Uruguyan's seem to take a lot of pride in their gardens. We haven't been able to secure a workaway yet so we're going to take the ferry across the river and spend a few days in Buenos Aires and hopefully find somewhere to go from there. This is starting to get expensive. Nothing is a cheap as I had hoped but what ever is. And the ATM's are proving to be a challenge. What a panicky feeling when you can't get money!! At least Josh is back to normal. I was getting sick of having to do the cooking! Next up Argentina and Patagonia.

About lthom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.