Existing Member?

Buen Camino There is no toilet paper on the road less traveled

Santiago in Sight ..... but .....

SPAIN | Monday, 29 September 2008 | Views [481] | Comments [1]

Well, here it is Sunday already and I am very close to Santiago.  I am in Arca this evening, and began the long journey fom Arzua.  One of my longer walks today, but there are not that many places to actually stay along this last aspect of the Camino.  When last I posted a story I was in Melide and was going to actualy have dinner.  Waited until around 8:00 as you have to eat on Spanish time.  But I just wasn´t hungry again.  So I just had a few almonds, and went to bed.  Story gets good here.  It was still a little light so I covered my eyes with my bandanna in hopes that with two sleeping pills I would drop off.  No ... someone in the pod of 8 beds had literally poured on some smally Ben Gay stuff and the room really smelled.  Then the man who had the bunk above me came in, talked with a friend, and just dropped off to sleep.  And snored ...... and snored ..... and snored.  All night.  None of us could get sleep.  What is it about ear plugs ...they just fall out of our ear!  At this time I tied on the bandanna over my eyes and ears in order to keep the ear plugs in.  Did not work.  The next morning when I was having my coffee across the street a couple from Germany said they were kept up bu the snoring also.  We did have a laugh all day about it.  We all decided that the albergue scene, while cheap, is hardly condusive to sleep.  When I got to Arzua, checked into a hotel with a room and bath to myself !!!!!!! And a TV with Spanish soap operas!  At least I got a good nights sleep.  Again, not hungry.  This morning I made the decision to do the whole trek to Arca.  Did have the chance to have my backpack transported, but I didn´t want to be a "touragrino".  Wrong decision.  About 2 miles before Arca, I took a step in the wrong direction, and now I have ace bandages on my right knee.  The calf is also in serious pain.  I was lucky to get a taxi to stop along the road and give me a ride in.  I will see tomorrow how I feel, if not better than I will wait another day.  So, Santiago on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Then I WANT TO COME HOME.  The countryside is beautiful with much of the Camino running through rural areas off the road, tall trees and lots of cows and farms.  I will let everyone know the latest scoop here in the pilgrim trenches in a few days.  And for now, everyone keep safe - I miss all of you.!!!

Tags: did pilgrims actually carry walking sticks, or were they really crutches.

Comments

1

Hey Lindy,

Happy belated birthday!! Your posts are wonderful! You are a very brave soul. I had to get a map out to see where you are. I have been thinking about you often and I hope you continue to have fun over there.

Jen

  Jen Sep 29, 2008 3:35 AM

About lrvajretti


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.