Existing Member?

Adventures in Flying by the Seat of my Pants Conquering Aotearoa One Day at a Time

Adventure Begins

FIJI | Thursday, 24 February 2011 | Views [845] | Comments [2]

I'll be honest, I'm not the best traveler. I love to visit new places, but I get stressed out easily and I always have problems with air travel.

Just to preface, I have arrived safely in Fiji and am sitting in the hostel watching the sunrise. It's warm, it's beautiful and I'm grateful to have finally made it here after hours and hours of being on planes, running around airports, luggage crises. But it's still been a pretty grueling journey to get here.

A sidenote before I continue, a tiny, adorable kitten just walked through the hostel and leapt onto someone's lap. 


Southwest Air whisked my backpack away from me at MDW and promised that it would meet up with me at LAX giving me something that looked like a raffle ticket as proof that my bag existed in their system. I was not reassured. Upon arriving at LAX, my apprehensions were confirmed: my bag was missing and there was no tracking on, no one had seen it and there were a number of locations it might have traveled to without me. After nearly having a breakdown in front of the Southwest Baggage handlers, I went to check in for my international flight and then return in hopes that it arrived on a later flight.

While I did not yell at anyone who worked at the airport, I did yell at my mother, sisters and Ben, who I apologize for my outburst resulting from a meltdown.


The good news is, my bag actually did arrive with me, but someone threw it down the wrong carousel and no one had seen it until I was just about to leave with nothing more than a $50 voucher and some money to cover expenses.

Anyways, there's nothing much else to update. I just wanted to let everyone know I'm here and I have internet access. I've heard about the earthquake in Christchurch, and while I was planing to travel there, I didn't have any definite plans as to when that would be. My plans are still, as always, up in the air.

Comments

1

HOLY CRAP! YOU'RE BLOGGING FROM THE FUTURE!

  Eitan Freedenberg Feb 24, 2011 5:24 AM

2

Are there robots in the future?
Also where are the pictures of FIJI??????

  Ben Feb 24, 2011 9:39 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.