Existing Member?

Tales from the Road

The Hong Kong I Did Not Know Part 1: Tai O Fishing Village

HONG KONG | Monday, 5 November 2012 | Views [1185]

I came to know about the Tai O fishing village in the Lantau Island while researching less travelled destinations in Hong Kong. I read that it's a refreshing shift from the busy city. Well in deed it is. It's not different from what we already have in the Philippines - the wet market, the stilt houses by the water, the fisher folks. There's something so foreign yet so relatable and maybe that's the reason why this place excites me.

 

It rained a little when we were there. Though some tourists might find that annoying, I got even more excited (secretly). There's nothing like a few drops of rain that can show how pretty a place is. When it started to rain, we found ourselves inside an art gallery featuring photos depicting life in Tai O. We also came across a small cafe selling postcards depicting the same. Being a fan of art, I bought 2 postcards I plan to scan and show sometime. Interesting that this small village turns out to be home to artists dating back to prehistoric times. You can read more here.

 

I hope to return in the future and stay for a night or two in one of the locals' homes.

 

Tai O is fast becoming a tourist attraction. It's one of the destinations of Lantau Island tours. It can be reached via bus number 11 from the Tung Chung town center or bus number 21 from the Ngong Ping village. 

Tags: fishing village, hong kong, tai o

 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.