Existing Member?

Tales from the Road

Travelogue: Beautiful When It Rains

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 1 September 2011 | Views [25032] | Comments [1]

I sit by the dining table as I write this account. From time to time I stand up to check on the fish I am cooking for breakfast. By now, the room should have smelt of fish and oil combined, the odor sticking to my hair and pajamas. But the scent of pine blown by the strong wind into the tiny cracks of the window still prevailed.

It is beautiful in Baguio when it rains. I have written about it several times in my blogs and I am writing about it again. Before I wrote that it is lonely but beautiful. However, I am doing my best to put up with some “pick me up” lines and “positivity and happy thoughts” stuff so this time I am writing – It is beautiful and fascinating.

Fascinating in deed as it makes everything fascinating, including this poorly constructed house we call home for our 3-day rainy day adventure. Though poorly constructed, its concrete walls are sturdy enough to protect us from the heavy rains and strong winds. This house was not occupied since 2 years ago when my parents bought it. We are the first lucky ones to spend a night (or two) here.

During the day the room is lit by light from the outside through glass windows with pretty railings reminiscent of a country home. Since it is raining today I can see rain drops hitting the windows drawing lines on the glass. From the inside I can see the outside magnified by the wet glass. If you look closely the world outside looks like a jagged pattern of greens, browns and white. The wonderful weather in the mountains has allowed plants and pine trees to freely grow outside the house which on a rainy day makes everything fascinating. With the thick and low fog outside, the neighbors are not visible. It looks like it’s just our home and the forest around us, far from everything else. I don’t mind staring outside the window for hours today.

The pouring rain sounds like an army marching in a rhythmic pattern at it hits the roof with the strong winds even pushing it harder against the galvanized iron. The plywood ceiling is not helping lessen the sound. But the sound is not at all bad as I listen right now. It’s calming and relaxing. I prefer this than the sound of traffic or a busy street. And knowing that I am protected within this small structure, I even feel more relaxed.

Entering the premise one will not really notice a house right away. I think that’s one of the charms of this place – it’s hidden, it’s a hidden garden.

A few years or maybe months from now a bigger structure will be built to replace this house. And maybe a few trees will have to be sacrificed. I hope to enjoy this place again while it’s still here. It’s the perfect home during a rainy day in beautiful Baguio.

Comments

1

hi, I just wanted to know who is the author of this travelogue?

  Amis Clado Feb 1, 2018 7:48 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.