Existing Member?

Tales from the Road

Bukidnon: More than Just Pineapples

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 18 March 2009 | Views [4280] | Comments [5]

The Obrero Place

Candice and her family drove us to Bukidnon where we stayed at Monte Gelo Farms owned by the Obreros. The Obreros are from Ilocos so they spoke our nativee tongue. We were the only guests in the place so we had the log cabin for ourselves. It was the best accommodation I had since I started my adventure. The crew was friendly and very helpful.

They do not have cable but why do you need cable when you have a lot to explore just outside the cabin? View photos HERE.

Our cabin at the Obrero Place

The river flows from Mt. Kitanglad, an extinct volcano

A pond - not sure it it's man-made or not but it sure is nice

A cottage further down the mountains

Pineapples Everywhere

Dr. Obrero said the Del Monte farm stretches to about 13 municipalities of Bukidnon. We toured the place and saw the community in Camp Philips where some of the high officials of Del Monte lived. We traversed several hectares of pineapple plantations. Farmers would wave at us when we passed. They probably appreciate the presence of other human souls in the middle of the vast land.

Dr. Obrero himself also conducts researches on pineapples. He was also the one who arranged the tour for us.

The Del Monte pineapple farm

The road stretches to some more pineapple farms

A Perfect Ending

This was a perfect ending to my 12-day adventure. It was a day of rest - we spent some hours with mother nature - exploring the place and taking photos, then we hopped on the 4x4 that will take us out to see a small fraction of the pineapple plantation.

We traveled 1 hour back to Cagayan de Oro where we took the plane back to Manila.

And Others...

We saw several species of pine trees in the Bukidnon - Benguet pine, cypress, and others. The weather there is cold enough for these trees to survive.

Sigh. I love the Obrero Place.

You can view my world nomad Bukidnon album HERE.

Tags: bukidnon, del monte farms, monte gelo farms, obrero place, pineapple

Comments

1

thanks for the very kind comments about our place. We are glad to have served you. Hope to see you again here in Montegelo..


-gelo obrero
general manager

  Gelo May 31, 2009 8:27 PM

2

Hi, I have been looking for your website for several days now because my department is planning on conducting our teambuilding at Monte Gelo Farms this July. We would like to get a contact number and maybe a website where we can extract pictures of your resort.Thanks.

  Christine Jul 1, 2009 5:15 PM

3

Hi Christine, I sent you an email regarding your inquiry. Thanks!

  loriejoy Jul 2, 2009 1:45 AM

4

Hi Aiza! I am not sure how you can make a reservation but you can try calling. :) Enjoy! ----- hi.. how can we make a reservation po for 3 pax? and how much? I have been to obrero's place. I really appreciate the ambiance of the place.. We are planning to stay there for 2 nights this aug.27 and 28...

  aiza kilat Aug 14, 2011 1:08 AM

5

Pwede mag ask ng telephone number...... for our educational tour this coming dec. 3-5, 2012.

  LONIE M. BURGOS Nov 21, 2012 1:14 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.