Existing Member?

Tales from the Road

Half Day in Cebu

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 16 March 2009 | Views [1010]

Raining Cats and Dogs

It was raining when we woke up in Boracay. I was already wet when I left Boracay and even got more wet when I arrived at the Caticlan airport. Most of the flights were delayed so I had to wait 3 hours. That meant I only had a few hours to spend in Cebu since I will be leaving the next morning for Cagayan de Oro.


Better Accommodation

Alone again in Cebu, I was able to get accommodation in a hotel just near the airport. I booked a room at Hotel Cesario and I had to pay double the accommodation cost of my 2-night stay in Iloilo City. I booked here because:

1) I had to leave early the next day (5:30AM)

2) They have free airport transfer service.

3) They serve free breakfast and they were going to pack mine since I needed to leave early.

4) I needed a good place to dry up all of my wet stuff.

My room in Hotel Cesario

The Balikbayan

I only had a few hours to spend in Cebu. On my frist hour, I had a good chat with a balikbayan from Qatar. We shared a table at the local Jollibee fastfood. The same as myself, he was also spending just one night in Cebu and will fly early on the next day.

He related his work in Qatar and how much he was earning. Qatar is one of the oil exporting countries. It looks rich enough to employ people from other countries.

I told the balikbayan I was in the IT industry as well and he convinced me to give Qatar a shot. I tried to be candid with my response. I said I love the Philippines, why should I leave? He gave me an as candid answer - to earn more money. Hmmm.. I think my life is more than just earning lots of money that you can't enjoy. So I passed. No thank you. But he insisted on having me check out this site for possible employment. There's no chance that I will need this link, but in case you are interested, here it is: http://www.qp.com.qa

2 Hours Around Cebu City

I asked the balikbayan if he wanted to explore Cebu City with me. He passed so I proceeded on my own. I only had a few hours before the sun sets so I opted to visit the two churches - the Cebu Cathedral and Sto. Nino Church . It was Sunday so the churches were packed especially the Cebu Cathedral. People were lined up to pray to and ask blessing from one of the images that was said to be miraculous. View photos HERE.

Sto. Nino Church

Cebu Cathedral

And Others...

I quite did not get how the jeepney routes of Cebu went so I shed out a little extra cash and took the cab instead. If only I had more time to explore, it would have been a cheaper trip.

The airport is actually in Lapu-lapu City rather than Cebu City. I know we know this but for some reason, we always forget.

You can visit my world nomad Cebu album HERE.

Tags: cebu cathedral, cebu city, lapu lapu city, sto. nino church

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.