Existing Member?

Tales from the Road

The Guimaras Island

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 11 March 2009 | Views [4533] | Comments [4]

Getting Around

When I arrived on the Guimaras island in the Jordan port, I immediately proceeded to the tourist information center to avoid the insisting tricycle drivers. I found a friendly Ilongga who helped me come up with an itinerary. She also suggested places where I can stay. On board a tricycle, I was able to get around the island.

Mangoes Everywhere

Guimaras is known for it's sweet mangoes. They weren't hard to miss, you'd see mangoes being sold along the streets and in the market. And you'll find mango trees everywhere as well. Unfortunately, when I was there, sweet ripe mangoes were hard to find. Mangoes were still in the process of ripening.

A view of one of the mango plantations

The Old Trappist Monastery

One of the places to visit is the Old Trappist Monastery, the only one in the country. I talked to one of the trappist monks. I felt a bit sorry for him since he can't go out and explore the world. He said he was allowed to go to the city when he needs to see his doctor.

Brother Peter poses in front of the Abbey Church

Inland Guimaras

Though most people love Guimaras for its beaches, I still found inland Guimaras to be more interesting. While traveling on the road, I often requested the tricycle driver to stop so that I can take photos of the lush greens. View photos HERE.

The lush greens of Guimaras

I was able to see 3 water falls on the island. Sadsad falls was the most difficult to visit that most guides don't advise tourists to go there. However, since I kept on insisting, we made the hike down the rocky path. Locals who found out what I did asked "What were you thinking?".

Sadsad Falls

Home Away from Home

On my first night, I stayed in Raymen resort in Alubihod beach. Locals said it's one of the best resorts. I disagree. It was all concrete and too modern for a beach resort. But I just needed a room to stay for the night. On my second night, I opted to stay inland at Valle Verde Mountain Spring Resort. I was alone in the resort and my cottage was situated several steps down the slopes of the mountains. That was the better place to stay in. You actually feel that you're in the middle of the wild during the night.

Inside Raymen resort

My cottage in the Valle Verde Mountain Spring Resort

And Others....

Guimaras is a lovely place and I think locals should be proud living on the island. I was a bit surprised though to find out that some locals would rather be in the big city. Hmm...

Traveling with a guide is a bit expensive but it is the only way to get to some of the inland attractions. I also discovered that traveling alone is a bit limiting if you don't have enough funds. You can't rent a boat to take you to different islets. It would cost too much. Tsk tsk.

Climbed on top a tricycle to get a better view

You can view my World Nomads Guimaras Album HERE.

Tags: backpacking, guimaras, mangoes, the old trappist monastery, tricycle

Comments

1

Hi! I would like to ask, how much did you pay for the tricycle?

thank you

  Valerie May 26, 2009 11:20 AM

2

hi, would you know how to get to Guimaras via Bacolod? And how much is the estimated budget when travelling to Guimaras? :)

  neysa Jul 3, 2009 3:21 AM

3

Sorry this is late. I paid PhP 1,000 for the tricycle.

From Bacolod, I would not know. You can check out some routes in the internet though. I spent around 3K in Guimaras. Lodging is a bit expensive when traveling alone. But food is rather cheap.

Good luck!

  Lorie Jul 20, 2009 12:37 AM

4

Great place, we were there a couple of days ago. We had so much fun. Although we didn't get to see the expected falls at Sadsad Falls,lol! El Nino is pretty serious I guess. There's just a little pool of water there but definitely no signs of falls anywhere! Even the trail going down is pretty dry, making it more slippery and scary...and not much foliage to hold on either. Anyway, it is still fun. It's a first for me to see a supposedly falls without water. We went to see another falls suggested by our tour guide May-may and even climb to a cave where he said he used to go to with his friends when they were kids. We also stopped by at Trappist Monastery and climb the holy mountain. We also went island hopping to see the bat cave, giant lapu-lapu :) and seahorses! Then made a final stop at an island called Ave Maria for a swim. All in all, it was a fun and blissful summer for us! Two thumbs up for Guimaras!

  Ayan Mar 27, 2010 8:38 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.