Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

Brazil: Ouro Preto

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 29 April 2009 | Views [527]

March 6th – 9th

Ouro Preto lies at about 1100m above sea level, some seven hours north of Rio. I was desperate to get some sleep on the night bus there but the twisty mountain roads ensured that was not to be the case. My body jilted around and the bag between my legs, with all may valuables in, kept sliding into the aisle so my mind couldn't rest.

We arrived at around 6.15am and found a nice little hostel where we had the luxury of 11 bed dorm for us and just one other girl. We went straight to bed and got up at 10am for a wonderful breakfast of cheese, bread, cake, bananas, oranges and coffee (the breakfasts at the guest houses in Brazil have been the best out of all the countries I've visited so far on this trip). We then showered, plugged my ipod into its speakers and got Helen's hair straighteners out – an absolute treat (haven't straightened my hair in 8 months, can't normally use the speakers because we're normally sharing a room with other people).

Ouro Preto is a great place to breathe fresh mountain air and recharge the batteries. We spent our time strolling around the beautiful streets (well staggering actually as the whole town is built on hills) and admiring the colonial buildings which reminded me of Paraty. It felt like we saw more churches than people there (there are some 23 in the town).

The area around Ouro Preto is historically a mining region. The most important aluminum factory in the country is located there although in former times it was gold which was one of the key minerals to be extracted – Ouro Preto translates to Black Gold in English. We visited a former gold mine, getting a ride down the old shaft, and learned that there are still tonnes of gold to be extracted as soon as new equipment is purchased ie. the town is literally sitting on a gold mine!

We also spent an afternoon in nearby Mariana, another pretty, colonial town and the oldest in the state of Minas Gerais (founded 1696). There our eyes were met with more baroque churches, pretty squares and cobbled streets very similar to Ouro Preto. We dragged our bodies up and down more hilly streets before giving in to the sleepy Sunday atmosphere and getting an ice cream and a suco do laranja in the main plaza.

One thing I won't forget about Ouro Preto is the food. We had a great meal on our first night consisting of a large platter of typical Brazilian dishes to share. The following night we ventured to a different restaurant and asked the waiter for his recommendations. He went through the entire menu in Portuguese with us and we ended up ordering a chicken dish to share although were unsure of what style it was going to come in. As it turned out, the biggest pile of deep fried chicken I have ever seen was soon delivered to our table in a large clay pot. There were no accompaniments so it was one greasy meal. When we asked for the bill, the waiter said something in Portuguese which I took to mean that another dish, pork I had thought, was still to come. We were horrified at the thought and sat for an uncomfortable twenty minutes or so thinking about the money we were wasting as neither of us could face another morsel of meat. Strangely, however, the bill then appeared and no more food was brought to the table. The incident confirmed to me that my Portuguese was no way good enough to be ordering in it.


 

About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.