Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

Brazil: Paraty

BRAZIL | Monday, 23 March 2009 | Views [643]

February 26th – February 28th

Thierry, Matilde and I decided to travel together from the Island of Santa Catarina to Paraty (via breakfast in Sao Paulo's bus station) and after an 18 hour journey up the coast, it was lovely to see the hammocks of our beach-side hostel. It was not so nice, however, to find out that the hostel, like much of the town apparently, had a water shortage. This felt a little ironic when it started to lash it down on our arrival although looking at it positively, the bad weather made us stay in and sign up for the hostel's dinner where we met some great people.

I hit it off straight away with a girl in my dorm, Luciana, from Buenos Aires. Whilst I was sorting my stuff out, she rushed in to tell me there were four firemen from Sweden in the hostel. Soon we were eating dinner across from two of them and Luciana was suggesting we all rent a boat together the next day. I knew immediately I was going to have a lot of fun with this girl.

After dinner at the hostel, the rain cleared and we headed to the main square at the typical Latin American going-out time of about midnight. Paraty is a gorgeous town and walking along its cobbled streets at night, with its colourful colonial buildings lit up and street vendors selling cakes from carts, is magical. After a drink in the square, we moved on to a little bar which had just enough space and the right amount of people in to get stuck into some Latino dancing. It was a good crowd - Luciana, the Swedish firemen, or “fireworks” as Luciana liked to call them in her sweet Spanish mis-translation, a group of English girls, a Peruvian/Swedish lad, a few Argentinians and a bunch of Brazilians. I'd been doing my usual dirty style of dancing barefoot again so Luciana and I had to make a detour to the sea to wash our feet before returning to our waterless hostel at around 3am (my supposed early-to-bed night).

The following day, the boat trip that Luciana had mentioned over dinner went ahead and eight of us in total set off on a beautiful wee boat which had the most perfect upper deck for sun bathing on and came equipped with snorkeling gear, colourful cushions, floats and a big bowl of fruit, which went well with the bread, cheese, ham and beers that we had picked up from the supermarket on the way. We spent the afternoon making stops alongside different islands, diving off the boat into the water, snorkeling and devouring our food and drink supplies. A thunderstorm brought us to shore at around 5pm after an afternoon in, pretty much, paradise.

Luciana told me that Paraty was celebrating its 340th “birthday” that coming Saturday. I think I'd actually been drawn to the town in the first place because I kept reading Party for Paraty so I felt like it was a calling to stay an extra day despite making half plans to go to Rio on that day. We, the “boat group”, had a great Saturday afternoon at some nearby waterfalls whose rocks are so smooth you can slide down them into a small but rather ferocious pool. Luciana went first and it was quite a frightening but equally hysterical sight. Her sunglasses went flying, she screamed the whole way down, and was somewhat uncontrollably transported between the different rock layers to finally plunge into water and relieve me of the laughter pains in my sides. Soon we all followed, sliding and laughing and entering the water in a number of uncontrolled ways. The boys were in their element trying out different chain formations but it was the locals who really showed us how it was done by sliding down on their feet!

The party in Paraty didn't actually turn out to be that much of a wild event. Getting dressed for it was, however, a lot of fun. Luciana allowed Matilde and I to choose a dress each from the amazing selection she had crammed in her suitcase which is a real treat after wearing the same limited pieces of clothing for the past 7 months. Whilst we were trying on dresses, Luciana complained that her toe, which had been bashed in sliding down the waterfalls, was starting to hurt and we slowly watched it turn from red to blue to black. After dinner at an all-you-can-eat buffet place, where Thierry in true backpacker style nicely polished off 5 plates, we decided we should get Luciana's toe checked out and headed for the local hospital. The toe turned out to be fractured and the doctor bandaged it up so Luciana could still go out dancing. By the time we found the others from the hostel and figured out that the party wasn't actually anywhere close to the centre of town, we gave up on the idea of tracking it down and just headed for a nearby bar to wish Paraty Happy Birthday in our own little way. Got to bed around 5am and had to be up at 7.30am for my bus to Rio. Thierry, Matilde and Luciana sweetly also got up to have breakfast with me before I left. I had had an amazing few days with them and felt it was a shame that we had to say goodbye. I did realise I probably wouldn't be in the best state for welcoming my sister at the airport that evening but, then again, after being awake for 40 hours, I figured she may also be in need of a little rest. We were kidding ourselves, however, if we thought that is what we were going to get in our 9 bedded dorm in the heart of Ipanema ...

 

About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.