Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

Brazil: Carnaval in Floripa/ Island of Santa Catarina

BRAZIL | Saturday, 21 March 2009 | Views [565]

 

February 22nd - 25th

My fist week of travelling alone coincided with Brazil's biggest festival - carnaval; the mad period of parades, dancing, samba, dressing up and lots of parting held four days before Ash Wednesday. Fearing Rio may just be too big, expensive and overwhelming on my own, I chose to join in the celebrations on the Island of Santa Catarina instead where there was still meant to be a good carnaval atmosphere but on a smaller scale to raving Rio.

Not long after arriving at my hostel (after a 14 hour coach journey, two local buses and half an hour of walking around in 30 degree heat tying to find the place), I met a Swedish girl, Angie, an Australian guy, Thierry, and a French girl, Mathilde. We spent 3 days together, checking out the town, beach and carnaval parades. Tamara, a Brazilian girl who worked at the hostel, came out with us one night to a town on the island called St. Antonio. The place was buzzing and we felt we got our carnaval fill: drummers with amazing rhythm, floats with bands on top (blocos), men dressed as women, women barely dressed, incredible hip movements, music, cocktails and lots of dancing. We squashed ourseleves among the crowds, danced where we could and ate our first Brazilian tapiocas.


The day after the St Antonio street party, we decided to go sand boarding down the dunes near Joaquina beach. Thierry and Mathilde sensibly took the bus there. Angie and I went for the more adventurous option of walking across the dunes, which turned into swamps about half way in, and arrived an hour and a half later just as the heavens opened. Boarding was substituted by sitting in a bar drinking beer and eating salgados. I also ate possibly the best chocolate truffle of my life in that bar.

Back at the hostel, the drinking and eating continued with pasta and Caipirinhas before the approaching sound of drums being battered lured us onto the streets again for the last night of carnaval. The vibe the drummers produced was electrifying and everyone was passionate about having a good time. We joined the dancers behind one of the floats and floated our way through the town before heading for a bar for one last round of the national cocktail.

On my last day on the island of Santa Catarina, I said goodbye to Angie, who's travel path was taking her to Rio, and went with Thierry and Mathilde on a local bus to Barra da Lago, a quaint little town next to a river and beside a beach. There I discovered the wonders of an ice-cream buffet bar and felt like I was a little girl again, deliberating over which penny sweet should go in the bag.

All in all, my experience of Santa Catarina/Floripa during carnaval was probably exactly how it should have been: lots of dancing, eating and drinking; in a couple of words, pure indulgence. It gave me the feeling that there may be a lot of partying to be done in my month in Brazil.

 

About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.