Existing Member?

Lisa's Adventures London to Home Hi All, Well it is time I moved on. I am heading home in July but so you can read about my adventures I have set this site up. Please read, enjoy and drop me a line sometime. See you all soon. Love Lisa xx

Juke box in Siberia

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Thursday, 9 August 2007 | Views [639] | Comments [1]

Hi All,

Well I am currently in Irkutsk in the middle of Siberia. We are off on the overnight train to Ule Ulde which is very close to the Mogolia border (which from what I have heard will be very interesting).

The past few days have been quite relaxing. After surviving a 54hr train trip from Ekateringburg to Irkutsk, you could get off every 3-4 hrs for 10 mins and walk the plateform and by some food, we have spent 2 days by Lake Bikal. Lake Bikal is set to become the worlds 5th ocean and split asia and europe apart. I belive that I will not be around to see it.

The train ride passed fairly quickly. There was definately lots of eating, sleeping, reading to be done. It was great to share with a couple of russin people. The first was Alex. He was in the milatary and could speak a little english. When we first met him he was on the search for vodka and when he couldnt find that any alcojhol and when he couldnt find that he went to sleep (the rest of us were awake because of the snorimg).

The next night as we got chatting to him he brought a smoked (raw) fish for us to try. So with 7 of us in our tiny cabin we tried this fish and had a few beers to was it down. It actually wasnt too bad. It was then the boys brought out the vodka. To Alex's surprise I put my hand up and joined in the vodka shot drinking. He was amazed that a girl would drink shots with him, so it defiantely brought a smile to his face.

It was not long after we had to say goodbye to Alex but we did manage to get a few more Russians into our cabin who continued to offer me food. They definately like their sweets but they do taste good.

We arrived early after 3 nights into Irkutsk and headed to Lake Bikal.

Lake Bikal was lovely (although the rain did yet again follow me for a day). There was plenty walking to be done and just overall relaxing and taking it all in. It was great to see that the town that we stayed in being the best lake resort town that it was still very very quiet. There was one tourist hotel, about 2 resturants and about 2 cafes for the whole place. It was lovely to know that the tourist industry has not reuined this place just yet.

We did manage to have a Rssian Banya. For those who are not sure what it is. You get to go in a steam room at about 90 degrees for as long as you want, hit yourself with wet birch tree leaves then go out and douce yourself in freezing cold water. Ahh how relaxing.

Well thats pretty much it. We are just killing some time in Irkutsk till our train leaves tonight for Ule Ulde and then into Mongolia. Will write more then likely when I arrive in Beijing. Till then take care.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi Lisa
Lucky you. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Not too much boose I hope. Good you are able to spend some with wioth people of other countries to learn and socialise a bit with them about their country.
All well in oz. We are off to the footy grandfinal in sydney. Dad got 4 tickects yesterday. Ashley and carmel are coming wwith us so now I only have to find somewhere to stay for the night at final will be at night time. Parra still in 3rd place, storm in first and souths in 9 but we have been on winning streak so hopefully we can make it. Should also get home final in melbourne.
All well with harley last week no mammo for 2 years and all well with shoulder surgeon but just have to keep up with excerise to get strength back. Have little soreness and pain now and then but should be gone in 6 to 8 weeks.
Natalia birthday today to will try and ring her tonight. Lou had bad asthma attack last week and spent few hours in hospital but okay now. Arron rules the roost and is starting to talk a little, said up hall on sunday wheres dad but can be lazy at times. Jason doing okay at soccer and satill goes for canberra and now sydney soccer club as they visited the school last week.
Dad and I off to the lakes fishing this weekend but going to be very cold and wet so I will take sewing machine as I have got to get my quilt together by monday week.
Haven't heard from your little brother yet this week but no news is good news. He usually rings on tuesday sometime.
Robyn was at the Sdyney cricket ground on saturday night with about 13000 other people in pink ponchos forming the shape of the pink lady. Looked really good.
Well best close and go clean the bathrooms and hang the washing out.
Look after yourself and enjoy the rest of the trip
ALL BY LOVE MUM

  maree cox Aug 14, 2007 12:34 PM

About lmc303

Snails, yummy

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.