Existing Member?

Lisa's Adventures London to Home Hi All, Well it is time I moved on. I am heading home in July but so you can read about my adventures I have set this site up. Please read, enjoy and drop me a line sometime. See you all soon. Love Lisa xx

Mongolia- Choose your own adventure

MONGOLIA | Thursday, 16 August 2007 | Views [719] | Comments [1]

Hi All,

Well I hope all is ok where ever you are in the world. Me fine. I am currently in Ulaanbaatar the capital of Mongolia, but a little sad as I am not feeling the love as I dont know if anyone is actually reading this blog as I have not heard from many.!

Over the past week we travelled from Russia and visited the last russian town of Ulan Ude. It was a lovely place with a great vibe. Travelling by their bus service (a mini van and lets see how many people we can put in one van) We visited the big Buhhdist monastary of Russia and it was such a coulourful place. The only bad thing about it was the old lady that kept following us and then collecting all the coins that people had left for wishes. SHe would have made a packet. We also saw the biggest bust of Lennin in the world.

We then bordered an early morning train for Mongolia. Even though it is only 200km to the Mogolia border we did not pass into mongolia for going on 12hrs. The first part of the train journey was fine. At about 1 we were ordered off the train and told to wait. In this 1 shop town there wasnt much to do for the 4 hrs on the platform except eat ice cream (it took me an 1hr in the line), sleep, read and a few tempted fate by drinking (oh how lucky boys are as the toilets were locked).

Finally around 5 pm we were able to board the train. This is where our passports collected, cabins and carriages were searched. It was sooooo much fun in 40 degree heat with no ventilation on the trains. After another few hrs later and a few shots of vodka from my new mongolian friends our passports were returned and we were on our way. Well that is the 20km through no mans land to Mongolia. Over all the border crossing took 9 hrs to travel the 20km. So much fun.

Finally early the next morning we arrive in Ulaanbaatar. I could already notice the change in the people. Besides the way the mongolians looked (very asian country compared to european that russia was) they also actually smiled, and seemed happy something the russians never did.

Looking around the city for the day and stuffing our faces at the mongolian BBQ (different to our BBQ's) we finished off the day with a trip to a cultural show. Seeing the mongolians play the weirdest instruments including throat singing and turning themselves inside out with contortion it was a great day to end the first day.

Over the next 4 days we spent it out the Ger camps (traditional nomad housing camps). To get there and back we needed to go through 9 hrs on a gruling bus on untared roads that looked like the driver could choose his own adventure and take us anywhere. I still dont know how the hell we found the camps.

At the camps I was upgraded to the delux Ger with the guide which is probably the only advantage being the only girl on the tour. There was beautiful plans, plenty of sheep and goats, many eagles and a few yaks to be seen over the next few days. We were able to visit a nomad family and their gers which was great. I even tried homade cheese and fermented mares milk. May I saw it is definately an aquired taste and I definately didnt aquire the taste for the milk, give me cows milk any day. We eneded our time with a sunset horse ride which was great.

Now I am back in Ulaanbaatar and we head out tommorrow to Hohot in China then onto Beijing. I am looking forward to continuing the journey as it brings me one step closer to home. Hope all is well where ever you are.

Lisa xx

Tags: Culture

 

Comments

1

Hi Lisa
Sounds like you are having a great time - not sure about the food and the milk that you are trying - dont know if that would be my cup of tea!!!??
So sorry I did not write before this, and dont really have a good excuse so sorry. Please forgive me. I promise I will keep up with the email writing, just so you know we care about you and want you home safe!!!!!!!!!!
Saw your Mum this morning at our morning tea and she told me you were in Bejing - I have heard so much about this place - both really good and some bad, so I hope you enjoy it. Have you been there before? I beleive it is huge and something worth seeing so enjoy.
Where are you off to next?
Looking forward to hearing about your next adventures.
Take care and see you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
love
Jocelyn Mason

  Jocelyn Mason Aug 20, 2007 2:53 PM

About lmc303

Snails, yummy

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.