Existing Member?

This town has all uphills and no downhills... France/Portugal/Spain 2013 SE Asia 2012

Jared's B-Day Part One

VIETNAM | Friday, 24 August 2012 | Views [458] | Comments [3]

We woke up this morning, only having slept a few hours, to go down stairs for breakfast. Very nice made-to-order breakfast - I had a eggs, seasonal fruit, coffee and watermelon juice. At the end of breakfast, the staff turned down the lights and brought Jared a cake with Happy Birthday written on it! They sang and he blew out candles. The other guests in the lounge clapped - it was super nice. I got a good photo or two.

First stop after breakfast was the lake, and the temple at the lake. Very lovely. The weather is somewhat like Seattle in that it is super cloudy in the morning, and the clouds burn off as the day goes on. There is some random ruin on an island in the middle of the lake. There are lots of little neglected things poking out here and there.

Then off to walk around town - tour of the Hanoi Hilton (which, according to the Vietnamese, most of the Americans who visited that prison reformed their capitalist ways and were happy to have stayed there - the propaganda was so extreme). It was overwhelmingly depressing - a real guillotine - tons of cells - McCain's bomber suit he was shot down in. At the Hanoi Hilton we met a nice couple - a young girl and her mother. They are British, but the child is adopted from China and has been going to school near the province where she was born. She has the most beautiful British accent - and she's just the right age to be super talkative to strangers, with interesting observations to share. 

Oh, she's not the only little girl who has taken a shine to Jared. All the young Vietnamese girls (very young, 10 and under), smile and wave at him. I think because of his leg. It's really cute, and a tad bit strange (but trust me, not creepy at all).

We took a tuk-tuk who took us for a ride - literally and figuratively. He quotes us some outrageous price, but as it was Jared's bday, I said yes anyway. He dropped us off half way to our location and then demanded twice as much money. I literally didnt have the money on me so I gave him what I had (maybe 12 US dollars - for a ride which should have cost 5) and we argued in the street for 20 minutes until Jared and I just walked away. It makes me angry - and it isnt the money - I think I don't like people telling me I've wronged them when I know I haven't. That's what it is - he was taking me for a ride and acted like I should feel guilty for not giving him more money.

The traffic here is fun. So many motorbikes. It is a leap of faith to cross the street, but people tend to be quite respectful of Jared on the road. Walking across the street with him affords me an extra ounce of protection, I think. I do love the traffic. I might rent a motorbike for my last day here, if I'm feeling very adventurous (sorry Mom and Dad..I'll try to be careful).

We also walked by the opera house. It is around 5, and we have reservations for 7 at a nice place in town (super fancy birthday dinner - which should be about 15 per person). I've invited Carolyn and Lichen (the couple we met). I hope they come - they seemed to think it was too pricey to let us pay, but I would love to have a b-day feast for Jared.

Tomorrow we go to Halong Bay 2 day tour. We booked it through the hotel instead of with Vega Travel. It was pricey, but it looks super luxury. We will have our own balcony on the boat. Fun! After that, I return to Hanoi and see Jared off. Then it will be all backpacker hotels, street food, and motor bikes....

I'll try to write more tomorrow.

I think people are reading this - if so, leave me a note! I'd be nice to hear from you!

Comments

1

Sounds like lots of fun but stay off the fucking motor bikes.!!!

  Lynn the evil step-mother Aug 24, 2012 11:54 PM

2

Watch the street food! Something straight out of hot oil should be OK. Have a roti canai (off a hot, hot grilll) for me.

  Dad Aug 25, 2012 2:02 AM

3

Sounds great, Liz! I'm very jealous! (Although I didn't expect to hear about you eating eggs and liking it.)

Would you mind if I shared the link for your travel journal with my parents? My dad just had surgery and would probably like to pretend that he is on your trip with you...

  Rachel Aug 25, 2012 6:27 AM

About lizscar


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.