Existing Member?

This town has all uphills and no downhills... France/Portugal/Spain 2013 SE Asia 2012

Second day Scotland

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 23 September 2023 | Views [73]

Well....today was a mixed bag to say the least. 

 

I got up around 7 and waited until 9 or so to try to rouse the others - who were un-rouseable until a tad later. I made some meat-free bacon and toast for my mom and Jared slept through breakfast. I made him a cappuccino. 

Once away we walked the short one block to the #10 bus and took a short ride downtown to Princess Street. Jared said he wanted a coffee so we went to Marks and Spenser to the cafe -Jared was pissed. He thought we were trying to trick him into shopping (we really weren't). He said he wanted someone where to do window shopping. He sort of stormed off - but we compromised (?) and followed him around until he found somewhere he wanted to go in. It was a long walk for my mom - whose knees are not doing well. She's slower than before and it is harder for her to walk. He sort of took off without us in a huff but we settled into The Scotsman Hotel Cafe. It looked really too fancy on the outside, but it ended up being quite reasonable and good. Mom and i had pancakes and Jared had eggs Benedict and coffee. We got to use the fancy marble bathroom ...which was important because...

Our AirBnB has no water. It stopped sometime in the night. No showers, no dishes, NO TOILETS! We emailed the host who said it was a Scotland Water Outage...more on that later.

We tried to enjoy the day. The walking was difficult - as I said - for mom. We went to an artist makers-market while Jared wandered off. Again, had a hard time finding him but he wandered back. Tomorrow we're gonna put an AirTag on him. Mom got some cards from an artist and I got a needlepoint pattern. We also bought some touristy scarfs which came in handy as it was colder and rainy-er than expected. 

Jared and I walked toward Edinburg Caslte while mom went to a pub and sat down to talk to unsuspecting pub patrons - she's been talking to everyone (and everyone except one of our Uber drivers today have been quite friendly). 

We got up to the castle but tickets for the castle were sold out for the day. Jared consoled himself with an ice cream Sunday (too rainy for me). It started raining harder so we walked back to collect mom. 

It was near impossible to get an Uber in the rain so we started walking back toward the bus - past the hotel we ate at. Jared used their restroom again and once we were a little further away from the touristy section I was able to call an Uber to drive us home. The bus would have been fine with me, but Jared and my mom were done walking. The Uber was cheap and fast - but mom asked the guy about his beard, "My it's curly - did it just come like that or did you do something to it?" (He didn't answer and pretended he didn't hear.) 

We got home and the power/water was still out- so no elevator - which is a problem for the two disabled persons in my party. The water was still off (and is still off). We contacted the owner again who blamed it on Scotland water - so I tweeted at them and they responded quickly telling me it was a building issue and they needed to call and engineer to restart our local pump. We relayed that info to the owner- but the water remains off. It's now been close to 24 hours without water. 

I walked to the supermarket and bought the largest jug of water I could find (only one large jug left), and a few snacks (cheese and crackers) and brought them home. Jared and Mom went to bed - for hours. I did my needlepoint and read my book. I thought about ordering take out around 7 - all the food closes around 8 - but they were still asleep so no dinner for us. 

It's 10:45 - still no water but I was able to sign into AmazonPrime and Jared and I are watching Wheel of Time. Everything is fine but Jared and Mom haven't taken a shower since before the plane - and if we cancel the AirBnB no where cheap is available to stay- but we might just have to spend a lot of money to go somewhere with water tomorrow. We'll see. 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About lizscar


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.