Existing Member?

This town has all uphills and no downhills... France/Portugal/Spain 2013 SE Asia 2012

Todos Santos

MEXICO | Sunday, 7 August 2022 | Views [122]

Well, we didn't get a great nights sleep last night because the construction next-door started at 10 AM and lasted till well after 2 AM. What a bizarre city that allows for construction on a Friday night that late! There was a huge backhoe breaking up pieces of concrete and then lugging them to a huge truck about a block away. I don't think the truck was allowed to go down the small cobblestone street so the backhoe had to carry the rocks quite a distance.

 

Well, we didn't get a great nights sleep last night because the construction next-door started at 10 AM and lasted till well after 2 AM. What a bizarre city that allows for construction on a Friday night that late!

 

There was a huge backhoe breaking up pieces of concrete and then lugging them to a huge truck about a block away. I don't think the truck was allowed to go down the small cobblestone street so the backhoe had to carry the rocks quite the distance.I had packed the night before so I didn't have too much packing in the morning. JARED start packing and I need some of our leftovers from the night before including Pizza who is reheat turned out really well.

 

We hit the road at 11 but I realized I left my sunscreen behind in the bathroom so I ran back to get it. However when I ran in to get it I ran out and left the keys locked in the apartment. Oh no! I texted with the guy to let him know and then we head off on our car trip to total Saltuwe hit the road at 11 but I realized I left my sunscreen behind in the bathroom so I ran back to get it. However when I ran in to get it I ran out and left the keys locked in the apartment. Oh no! I texted with the guy to let him know and then we head off on our car trip to Todos Santos.

 

The drivinfo was not treacherous as it was all highways – highway one to Highway 19. There was a little initial confusion because it kept wanted to route us onto a toll road but the toll road did not hug the shore and I wanted to see the ocean. The drive took only a little bit over an hour and we arrived in the small chili town a little after 12. My initial impressions were that it was dumpy sprinkled with some very fancy shops. Some of the shops have international recognition and there is some very fancy looking surf shops but a lot of the other buildings don't look fancy at all.

 

The drive took only a little bit over an hour and we arrived in the small hilly town a little after 12. My initial impressions were that it was dumpy sprinkled with some very fancy shops. Some of the shops have international recognition and there is some very fancy looking surf shops but a lot of the other buildings don't look fancy at all. down a few dirt roads with some serious puddles we found our hotel, serendipity.

 

serendipity is beautiful and we were welcomed by our host Sharon. Although we were early she was able to accommodate us as we are the only guests on the property for tonight. I think they can accommodate a total of 24 guests. We met her two dogs and she showed us two rooms: the room I have booked and another sweet. Room I had booked was up several staircases and had a beautiful view but the bathroom was down outside hallway and it was about to rain. We were both worried that JARED could slip on the Mexican ceramic tile. She then showed us a king suite which was on the second floor, also had a nice view but the ground was made out of small pebbles and it was much less sleepy so we took the second king size room.

 

We met her two dogs and she showed us two rooms: the room I have booked and another sweet. Room I had booked was up several staircases and had a beautiful view but the bathroom was down outside hallway and it was about to rain. We were both worried that JARED could slip on the Mexican ceramic tile. She then showed us a king suite which was on the second floor, also had a nice view but the ground was made out of small pebbles and it was much less sleepy so we took the second king size room. The room is spacious and had a sliding glass door to get in and a sliding glass door and window on the opposite side with a large balcony overlooking the water. The bed is a huge king or California king size bed with beautiful embroidery yellow Mexican blanket on top. She provided us with a jug of water in the room as well as a refrigerator.

 

it was pretty hot and humid on our arrival so we didn't it's been too long lingering in the room. We went right into town to get some coffee at a coffee shop our host recommended, Felix. Two coffees and one very large slice of carrot cake later I went off to venture to all the little shops I had wrote about JARED stay put to play the puzzle. He was better staying put because at this point it was raining and the streets were quite slick. I went to nomad chic – a store I had read about before this trip. While the store had beautiful items it was very very expensive. And most the items were not from Mexico. Some of the other shops I had read about that had items from Mexico will also equally as expensive – we're talking $300 for a shirt. A beautiful shirt made out of linen and he died but still a $300 shirt. This town attracts wealthy surfers and they're equally wealthy wives perhaps.

 

while the store had beautiful items it was very very expensive. And most the items were not from Mexico. Some of the other shops I had right about that had items from Mexico were also equally as expensive – we're talking $300 for a shirt. A beautiful shirt made out of linen and had died but still a $300 shirt. This town attracts wealthy surfers and they are equally wealthy wives perhaps. I didn't end up getting anything except some hair ties I needed at the Nomad Chic that I sprayed with some other perfume I liked.

 

When dropping into the shops I've looked at some of the jewelry including a cherry topaz they said was indigenous to this area which I doubt. And one shop a one carat cherry topaz set with white diamonds was $200, and the next shop very same piece of jewelry was $380. Go figure. I also looked at some more carpets and I'm is equally puzzled how much they should cost.

 

I picked up JARED and we went for a short walk around town very carefully as it was still drizzling a tad. We took some pictures before the Todos Santos sign and went into the church in the main square. Menswear also had a very quaint looking cinema dated from the 1940s but have been lovingly restored. I'm sure I can find more about it online.

 

We got back in the car and drove back closer to Serendipity to eats at a restaurant Sharon recommended named "five tacos and beer"- because of the rain they were only allowing food orders to go. I guess the town really does shut down in the rain. And we decided to take them up on their to go offer with Jared ordering a hamburger and I ordered three vegetarian tacos and guacamole. My tacos were quite good with mushrooms and panfried mix of onions and potatoes. The habanero sauce that accompanied the tacos was very very spicy – the first very spicy thing I've had on this trip. The guacamole was made just for JARED without onions and was delicious. They also made me probably the best margarita ever had - It was not too sugary nor did it taste of alcohol. It was very refreshing – another Sharon recommendation. She had told us earlier that they made a mean margarita.

I took a little siesta after my margarita dinner back at the room and once we woke up we took a dip in the beautiful pool as the sun was setting. It was very nice being the only guest having the pool to ourselves.

After our pool time we retire to a room where we watched more of the same and series and went to bed at a reasonable hour – midnight. At exactly midnight we heard this tap tap tap which I thought was maybe someone on the property telling us that it was time to turn the iPad off. However in the morning I realized it's a bird around here that has a call that sounds very much like a tap tap tapping. I was also a little surprised last night to find out that Jared was slightly freaked out about the geckos on the wall. They don't bother me one bit. The large Beatles freaked me out a tiny bit and they don't freak him out at all.

 

Tomorrow or tool around Todos Santos and decide whether we want to go to another little town around here, head over to La Paz, or head straight to Cabo. We're both a little worried that the two small towns we've been to so far I've been so charming and comfortable that after these charming small towels Cabo is going to seem like a nightmare. I think the solution to that is to book excursions and just not stay in the town very much at all.

 

About lizscar


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.