Existing Member?

This town has all uphills and no downhills... France/Portugal/Spain 2013 SE Asia 2012

San Jose Del Cabo

MEXICO | Thursday, 4 August 2022 | Views [110]

This is the first time writing a journal on my phone! Jared and I decided to go somewhere Alaska airlines flew for our seventh anniversary. Our out of country options were limited to Costa Rica, Belize, and Mexico. We chose to go to Los Cabos and Todos Santos. I didn't really have an antecedent interest in going to los Cabos as all I really knew about the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula was that it was a party town. However using or Alaskan companion fare was attractive and I wanted to get out of town.

 

We drove up on Tuesday to Seattle and stayed with Jared's friend Nick. Nick's lovely family took us on a beautiful walk around West Seattle and we had a glorious meal of salmon and meat. His kids made us fancy salt as a present which was pretty adorable and showed us all of their Legos. After quick visit with them, we went to bed and woke up to get to the airport by 8:30 AM. It is a good thing that I am a super early to airport person because the flight was not at 1030 but at 10. We made the plane just fine. The flight was more or less uneventful with me watching "all about Eve" -which was fantastic- and Jared watched Belfast. I had not one but two drinks on the plane which is unusual for me. And despite a slightly bumping landing and ear pain due to my lingering illness everything was totally fine.

 

iI was a very easy journey from the airport to cactus rental car. Short shuttle ride later we picked up our small Nissan versa and made the trek to our AirBNB. Luckily I had downloaded Maps to my phone earlier in case we did not have access to Wi-Fi and we easily made our destination in about 30 minutes. The Airbnb was just as expected however the air-conditioning was not left on and it was pretty darn hot.

 

JARED was starving due in part to the fact that he let me eat the lion share of pre-ordered food on Alaska consisting of a cheese and fruit platter as well as a new tofu salad that they have. We ventured a block away from our Airbnb to go to a pretty good restaurant. I'd say the atmosphere might've been better than the food but both were pleasant and charming  and the evening light was very nice. We went back to our room and JARED started to not feel well. He stunk up the whole apartment with his stinky poos. i've ventured out to get water at a local Stop & Shop and a few Topo Chicos while he tended to his bowels in the bathroom. He's still resting and I spent some time walking around the town at night.

 

I felt very safe walking around. The only people who talk to me were a few cab drivers who assumed I was looking for a cab. It was still hot at night time - with everything lit up it was quite beautiful. I easily found the main square and saw the old church flutter with activity. They had some sort of Christian rock band and I can understand the lyrics to the songs they were singing. The songs were quite upbeat and actually quite moving with the whole church singing and clapping along. There were many little stalls in the shop still open in the main square including popsicle stand and other treats. Teenagers were mulling about riding their skateboards and lots of what seems like tourist families strolling around speaking Spanish.

 

I stopped only in one shop where I inquired about the prices of blankets and rugs… Everything was much more expensive than I had anticipated. I still plan on buying some stuff before heading home but perhaps less than I expected. The small 1.5' x 3' carpet she showed me was $350. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to haggle and stores are only on the beach? I don't like haggling and I would much prefer to shop with the prices. I know it's part of the cultural experience but I still just don't like it. Tomorrow I plan on going to some of the jewelry shops and coffee shops. I even found a place that advertised having cold brew so I know I can tempt JARED out on a small walk at least just for that. Perhaps we'll also go down to the beach but tomorrow is the first Thursday of the month and even though we're in low season because it's the height of summer there should be some galleries open for art walk. 

 

Tags: arrival

About lizscar


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.