Existing Member?

This town has all uphills and no downhills... France/Portugal/Spain 2013 SE Asia 2012

Dublin - Day 1

IRELAND | Monday, 11 March 2019 | Views [238]

For my mom’s 75th birthday, we scheduled a trip for Ireland.

We left on Saturday, on a Virgin Atlantic flight from Miami to Heathrow. To my great delight, the plane was not a fart plane (as Jared and my plane from Italy was - Iberia was the worst). The flight itself was eventful only insofar as there was turbulence at the beginning and end. I read my book, tried to sleep and ate the veggie food the very nice stewardness brought me (including a slightly spicy dal). On the way off the plane, I took a few of the first class pouches (red Hershel pouches filled with toothbrushes, toothpastes, earplugs, and socks) - they were going to be thrown out so I don’t feel like it was stealing....

My mom was generally not impressed  - but watched several movies on the plane (including The Favourite). She didn’t finish her meal but enjoyed her Tiger beer and red wine with dinner (I likewise enjoyed my free scotch). 

We transferred with no incident between London on our Aer Lingus plane to Dublin. A short flight, but eventful in that it was the bumpiest landing I have been on in a large plane (due to wind). 

At the Dublin airport we met up with Jared by a coffee shop and were surprised that he has been upgraded to a fancy Mrecedes at the rent-a-car. Jared agreed to drive while the three of us are in Ireland. Whew — good on Jared. 

We drove the 50 minutes from the airport to our AirBnB. The house, in the Dublin suburbs, was FREEZING but we found it and entered without incident. We were able to turn on the heat and heated the house up within the day. We will be spending three nights in the house. I type this on the third night. After settlingin we decided to drive to the local town for a nice dinner in an old Irish bar. We drove into Daley (A “Heritage Town”) and went to a bar called “the Club” in historic downtown Daley. It was lovely! An old wood bar - very cozy. We had a lovely meal. I drank a local cider and had fish and chips which was fantastic. Funny enough, as soon as we sat at the table and looked up at the Telly we saw that they were showing a FLorida golf turniment. Florida has been showing up all over the place. Abyway, after a nice dinner we drove home and settled into sleep. As the house was still cold, we slept with our hot water bottles. 

About lizscar


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.