Existing Member?

coast 2 coast world - here we come.

snails and eiffel tower in pariee

FRANCE | Sunday, 11 May 2008 | Views [680]

feeling the need to relax we headed to a supermarket on our first day in Paris and grabbed the essentials for any picnic - a french stick, dip, cheese, bottle of red wine (cheaper than cordial) and some salami. We packed the bottle opener, the plastic cups provided in our bathroom and headed off to the park marked on our map, a nice 12km or so away. It was a glorious day and we couldn´t have made a better call, passing 5 hours in the sunshine, enjoying our picnic and catching up on journal writing and just taking it all in. As it was Saturday there were plenty of others doing the same and it was nice to observe the french way.

The next day was our sightseeing day and we again tackeled it on foot, despite staying some way from the city. As we walked along the river we took in Notre Dam Catherdal, where Kim and Lize both lit candles, Lize for her grandma who had not been been well, and Kim in memory of Phyllis, his grandma who passed away last year.

We passed the Lourve, but decided against stopping in, and eventually caught sight of the famed Eiffel tower. It was great to actually arrive at it, and we fell to the grass determined that we would not be walking up it, as we had walked some 15km to get there. Luckily it didn´t cost much to go up in the elavators and although the top level was closed, it was amazing just to be on the second level and see Paris in all her glory in front of you. Is quite incredible how everything seems lined up with the Eiffel Tower. Very beautiful and we took lots of pictures and just soaked in the view- paris is also very flat city and we were able to see for miles. We headed back down to the ground and then up the road for some more shots of the tower from a different angle. It was here was watched break dancers and then headed off for some dinner. The food in Paris was pretty ordinary, with everything coming wih a side of chips and it being very difficult to find vegetables or fancy food. The salad rolls were amazing however and we enjoyed one for brunch every single morning.

Our last day was a domestic day as both of us had no clean clothes to wear so we found a laundry and spent the next few hours washing and drying basically everything in our backpacks before finding a ´fancy´ place for dinner where we tried snails in creamy garlic sauce - chewy but if no one told you, you wouldn´t really know that was what you were eating.

We then packed and after an incredibly crowded ride to the airport, so much so Lize only just fitted on the train and had to basically sit wedged on Kim´s knee and a random suitcase, we arrived in our last European city - Spain.   

About lize_youdie


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.