Existing Member?

Livy's Adventures

Castles, castles, castles!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 2 October 2009 | Views [483]

One of the significant things about our adventure has been that we’ve been able to visit sites that have been significant to us in terms of literature, art and film as well as those significant historically. 

Today was a cool day for this. Sites of massive historical significance in Edinburgh Castle and three more castles on the East Coast that were burned by Cromwell to destroy the Royalists…or else I think it was the Royalists??

The brutality and passion and patriotism of Scottish history culminates in its beautiful capital at the heart of which looms the stoically romantic and timeless castle.I had to continuously remind myself of the history of the site and its significance to feel my skin tingle at such things as standing on the site of Jame I’s birth and his famous mother’s quarters. The war memorial is grave and monumental. The view of the city unique particularly from the gun barrels pointing towards the cathedral steeple below.

We walked the Royal Mile – all very touristy. 

I stopped at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival offices and inquired as to when they recruit and begin organizing for 2010. It’s one of if not the biggest festival in the world so it would be a nice excuse for a six month visit in the coming years.

I’d love to go further north to Bannockburn, Culloden and Glencoe on my next trip – yes there will most definitely be a next trip!!

The next castle was recommended by Jo from Crauchie Farm. Tantallon was the first of our Cromwell destructions, which is all vastly romantic and dramatic. Its ruins loom on the very edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean from which the salt breezes to which the constant wearing and destruction of the remaining stone is attributed perpetually blow.

Standing on the battlements, knowing the tragedy of the ruins augmented by the torment that ensued upon surrounding dependant settlements, is stirring. The view to the sea, as well as inland, encompasses all the romantic brutality and passion that has inspired the deeds of its great patriots. 

Hailes Castles is a lesser known ruin, again the work of our dear Cromwell. It’s smaller and its site more picturesque on the very banks of a broad, willow-lined river amongst lush green countryside and farmland.

Tags: castles, edinburgh castle

About livy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.