Existing Member?

Livy's Adventures

Continuing North

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 30 September 2009 | Views [371]

Today we drove further north to Hadrian’s Wall. We actually hit a less-preserved region I think because there wasn’t much to see. To be honest the whole region is quilted patchworks of varying shades of lush, wet green separated by heavy stone walls built from the grey stone found littering the region and probably in many cases scavenged from the Roman fort and wall ruins themselves. So the ancient Roman borderline is difficult, at places, to dtermine from the everyday fencelines. We thought this was the basis of something of a joke at the poor old artifact’s expense, in the kindest possible humour of course!

The Roman Military Museum was actually quite interesting housing lots of pieces recovered from the sites like pots and coins and even shoes, which are uniquely preserved in the wet soil of the regions in a way that Roman textiles have not been preserved elsewhere.

I tend to get a bit excited about the archeology of the whole thing so I enjoyed this. 

The rest of the day was spent driving to Glasgow where we had dinner but didn’t really spend much time because a change of plan caused us to head to the a town just south of Edinburgh in preference to spending three nights in the west.

At three pm Rob texted me to tell me that my birthday had begun back home (midnight). Then again at nine am because it had begun here. We rang Mum, who is herself jet lagged from her month in Italy with Dad and his sister Aunty Sue.

They all sang Happy Birthday which was sweet.

Tags: glasgow, hadrians wall, overseas birthdays

About livy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.