Existing Member?

Livy's Adventures

Darwin

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 22 September 2009 | Views [574] | Comments [1]

So my adventure’s begun. I’m on the five hour flight to Darwin writing on my new macbook (thanks Dorky).

I’ve said goodbye to Rob after a fantastic weekend with him. Last night he left work early so that romantic dinner would be ready for me when I finished, what an amazing boyfriend I have!

It’s strange, I’ve never flown inland before. It’s funny that I could live in the country all my life and feel such an affinity for it yet only really know such a miniscule fragment of it. The beautifully violent coastline and maybe a tiny bit inland, where the stark candle-barks are replaced by the ugly yet strangely exquisite roughness of Malalukas, is as comfortably familiar to me as my right hand . But beyond that, the red and ochre plains that are so representative of Australia to outsiders are completely unfamiliar! It’s really awe-striking, how vastly it stretches in quilted patterns of green and brown shades outside my little plane window.

 

I somehow scored a window seat, sweet! Even though I checked in late and didn’t choose it. The old guy next to me looks a bit like my dad’s brothers – there’s every possibility we could be related! I thought about asking if he was a Jones then thought against. He looks a bit grumpy!

There must be tomato chutney in his sandwhich. The smell reminds of breakfast at the café on Mt Alexander rd that Rob and I frequent. Our ‘usual’ is eggs on sour-dough with tomato chutney – they have the best chutney I have EVER tasted!!

This morning we had one last breakfast out together before he drove me to the airport. The guy at the counter ummed and ahed saying that they only have midday breakfast on weekends (it was 11)

 

Now that I’ve said goodbye to the important people that make my life all that it is in Melbourne I’m keen as to see my sister. It’s comforting in our relationship that nothing changes. On the surface we develop in opposite directions because of ur opposing experiences and I still think our characters are opposite in a lot of ways. The deep rooted nature of our characters don’t change though. I revert to ‘younger-sibling-Olivia’ when I’m with her and she becomes ‘sister-who-acts-as-the-second-mother-Mycaila’, the girl who held me like a doll when we were little. Though, sometimes she reverts to what I like to refer to as ‘giant-dag-Mycaila’ – well at least I’m refering to it as that from now on because it makes me laugh. In that case I become the more mature one which is highly satisfying for my ego! We somehow grew up adoring one another while other siblings we grew up with seemed to develop varying degrees of mutual loathing. We were isolated a little bit as kids, I think, so we came to rely and depend on one another.

Now I feel a little bit of trepidation, maybe, at seeing her after about six months. I think the last time I saw her was Easter then Christmas before that. It was weird when she moved to Darwin. Even though we hardly ever caught up in Melbourne it was still comforting to know she was around. Organising this trip has kind of forced us to call eachother and email more often and I like that. I have this thing I like to call the ‘weirdo-Liv-notion’ – ok I’m totally making these up now, but I think they’re adequately descriptive – where I think that people will change so much over time that they’ll just be irrecognisable!! (sigh) and yet I’ve seen Beaches so many times…

I think part of this is looking forward to just being with her again and living out of each others’ pockets again. I’ll feel better going back to Melbourne knowing that everything’s still the same. I’m all for change, but there’s a comfort in knowing some things don’t change. Knowing that May hasn’t become a commando fitness junkie (she’s in the army btw so that’s not entirely unlikely!) and that ‘giant-dag-May’ still encompasses the large portion of her personality will be comforting at the end of our adventure.

 

I just realised that I forgot to hand my 2500 word 50 percenter that’s due while I’m away, whoops! I’ll call Rob and get him to do it – he loves being the prince charming! Hehe no seriously, he is prince charming!!

 

So far I’ve realised that apart from that assignment – which really is pretty important!!! – I’ve only otherwise forgotten my Little Birdy cd, which would’ve been sweet to have but at least I definitely have, you know, a few scarcely more necessary things like my passport. Otherwise I’ve got some music but not much. Also the new mac is proving to be slightly trying in its differences. Wow I really should be doing my group assignment – I told them I’d do a bit of it today on the plane, hmmm

 

Omg, the guy next to me keeps elbowing me in the arm, what the hell! I take up like a tiny portion of the seat, he almost has to go out of his way to elbow me!! I guess when I get old I won’t give a crap about who I elbow or how much room I take up! (by then I’ll probably be really fat from a lifetime of eating too much chocolate and finishing off other people’s meals)

 

Mmm Billie Holiday ‘Misty’ is making it all better! I think I’ll go and play some Plants Vs Zombies and maybe get back to you later Bloggo. Oh, and first do some work on my group assignment, haha! So easily distracted.

 

While I’ve been writing the view outside my little window has turned to this incredible deep red that stretches out in what seems from this distance to be tiny ripples as if once upon a time these endless plains lay at the depths of an ancient inland ocean. Every now and then the expanse is interrupted by a ribbon of river or road signalled by a line of shrub or a vast damn or even a body of lighter earth that could be a hill or mountain. The patterns formed by the topography of the landscape and the scrub that covers it remind me of the patterns in Aboriginal art reminding me of their ancient affinity with it. The fact that they recognise those patterns within the landscape that are repeated almost mathematically even to the immense scale that I might recognise them at this distance causes me to feel an overwhelming respect for their knowledge built over tens of thousands of years.

Or maybe it’s just coincidence. No, I’m a romantic. So I like to think it’s not.

I like the idea that I’m somehow part of that as an Australian at the start of my life with my comparatively miniscule understanding of the world.

 

Now Bob Dillon is crooning in my headphones about the story of the Hurricane. Can anyone explain why on Jetstar flights the little dong sound comes on at random intervals? Everytime it happens the guy next to me and I look up to see if the seatbelt sign has come on. It never does. Weird.

Oh God, I bought a bottle of water and desperately need the loo. Window seat doesn’t look so good now. I’m remembering a certain Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets stuck on the flight from hell while Jerry gets upgraded to first class and gets to sit next to a gorgeous model.

 

The landscape out my window has changed again and I let it distract me from my bodily needs. Whispy scraps of cotton wool clouds are making vast shadows on a landscape that is yet another shade of brown. I get a sense that this a truly earthy kind of light brown, like the earthy beauty of a voice like Ruby Hunter’s. I recognise the similarities between a voice like hers and the character of the landscape here as we venture further towards the centre of the continent. The sandiness of the earth makes the clouds looked dusty and dirty as if they have been blown around on a windy day at the beach when the sand hits you roughly against your face and nothing is unaffected by the sand from your hair to you bather bottoms to your towel to your thongs. Rugged and jagged rocks of earth jut out of the smooth, light brown of the outback as thin dark lines of river criss cross at their feet like long lines in an Aboriginal painting. I can recognise the dots and lines and colours of that ancient art-form in the scene below. The vastness is frighteningly intense and despite the beauty of it all tugging at my core I’m glad I’m safe up here and not lost down there. It’s truly such an incredibly beautiful country.

Gimme Shelter strikes me through my headphones with the undeniable awesomeness of the opening guitar riff. Oh the Stones! I can’t help but pout a little bit and rock my shoulders to its beat. Hehe, well really I’m never going to see these people and life’s for living. What’s the point of being alive if you’re too afraid to rock out whenever you hear your fave tunes?!

Ok the lady two seats to my right (aisle seat) got up so I was able to nip to the loo – on second thoughts maybe you didn’t necessarily need that information!

Looking out the window again and listening to Vaughan Williams’ Lark Ascending, the quintessential staple of the English pastorale repertoire, I’m struck by the stark opposition in the characters of each landscape. I brought the piece to listen to while we’re driving through the Lake Country (Oh God I’m so excited!!). The landscape out my window is vast, dry and ancient. It is not only untouched by man it is untouchable in its absalute harshness and void of capacity to sustain life. Well, of course I know that’s wrong. But surely complete inability to sustain life that has been reared in the eternal wet and endless green of, say, an Irish county derry. The picture of landscape communicated to my ears through Vaughan-Williams’  lilting phrases is a quilted map of rolling green pasture and skies dark and heavy with rain.

Damn, listening to it makes me want to write but I didn’t have time to load Finale  onto my new mac. Ah well, I assume I’ll probably have a few more things to do besides using my new mac, hehe, but it’s so pretty and in such a cute little case!

Ok, it’s Plants and Zombies time xo

 

 

 

Tags: flying

Comments

1

ps. Darwin was hot hot HOT hot hot!
Though I loooooved spending time with Ken (sis' boyf) and May and at the time it was all fun - day by the pool, can't complain!
But I was glad to leave. I was designed for Melbourne weather. Darwin's 30 degree daily minimum is too much for me! I was surprise, though, how long I (with my fair fifth-generation-Welsh-decent skin) could stay in the sun in Darwin without being burnt. Evidence of climat change and the hole in the ozone layer slap bang over Victoria anyone?

  livy Sep 28, 2009 6:45 AM

About livy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.