Existing Member?

love laugh see explore

Sharing Stories - A Glimpse into Another's Life - It's the simple things

NEPAL | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [254] | Scholarship Entry

‘Did you meet your husband before your wedding day?’ My recently married sister and I glanced at each other and it was at this point we realized how different our lives were to this delightful Nepalese man. We sat tight in the back of the rickety old van and held on as we took the bumpy road to the outskirts of Kathmandu. We had just spent 12 days trekking with Kamal and while there had been many conversations on the mountain, it was this experience that gave us the greatest insight into his life.

We pulled up outside what appeared to be a small shop. There were kids laughing, running, playing barefoot on the dirt road. ‘Welcome to my home’ announced Kamal proudly. We walked through the shop, which forms the front section of the house and which Kamal runs when he is not leading treks through the Himalayas. The smell makes my mouth water. His wife of 10 years has prepared the most incredible meal in their small home, which they share with Kamal’s parents.

After gorging ourselves on Dahl Bhat and other Nepalese goodies, we are given a tour of the house. A room for the grandparent’s, a tiny kitchen, a bedroom shared by Kamal, his wife and their two sons, a basic toilet and a makeshift shower which Kamal explains that they each use once a week.

We look through photo albums as the two boys sit and do their reading homework. ‘Some of their friends don’t get to go to school so they know how important it is to do their homework’ their proud father explains. His wife barely speaks any English but you can see the pride in her eyes as she watches over them.

Kamal has to head out for a short while to catch the last of the traders at the local market so that the shop is stocked for the following day. ‘Please stay’ he insists. During this time we sit with Kamal’s wife and look at photos of their wedding day and family occasions from years gone by. Kamal had earlier explained that their wedding day was only the second time they had met. There is little verbal conversation during this time but it is amazing what can be communicated through body language, facial expressions and hand gestures. It was evident that these were some extremely happy and proud people.

Later in the evening as we head back to our hotel room in the centre of Kathmandu which contains two double beds, running hot water and cable TV, my sister and I say nothing. I can tell that something has changed and we both have a new appreciation for the simple things that make you truly happy.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About livelife


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.