Existing Member?

Big adventures for a little sheila on a huge island Who knows what'll happen next?

A happy day on sorry day

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 13 February 2008 | Views [421]

Today the Australian government have apologised to the Aboriginal people for their treatment of them and in particular, the stolen generation. It has caused some controversy in Australia with some people being all for it and others thinking they shouldn't bother.

Whilst working at Pippies in Rainbow beach, I've been very fortunate to get to know and work alongside Yarra, an Aboriginal who was part of the stolen generation. His father was removed from his parents when he was a small child, meaning that he has never gotten to know half of his family. This happened to so many Aboriginals at the time. The people have been treated absolutely appallingly over the years. It's no wonder that there's so many social issues amongst Aboriginals communities today.

Yarra was sastisfied with the apology and believes many others will be too. It's funny how just those small words can make so much difference to people. I think there's a lesson to be learned for us all there. We celebrated with a live didgeredoo session and some story telling.

Yarra helps people to make didgeredoos and boomerangs. Whilst I was painting my boomerang (well more being told what to do by Yarra, who took great pity on my lack of artistic skills) it was great talking to him and finding out about the Aboroginal people and their culture. I will miss our chats. He's painted me a seed to take on my travels with me and has made me promise to come back to Rainbow Beach one day.

Tags: Friends

About littlepipes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.