Existing Member?

Big adventures for a little sheila on a huge island Who knows what'll happen next?

Wow Fraser Island

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 27 January 2008 | Views [2614]

After the much hyped Whitsunday Islands, I was hoping I was going to be slightly more impressed by Fraser Island, but after a 15 hour bus journey from Airlie Beach to Hervey Bay and three hours sleep, I was going to be a difficult customer to impress.

Well to say I was impressed was an understatement. I totally fell in love with the place, and think it's the most amazing place I've been to so far. I was absolutely astounded by the whole eco-diversity of the island. Where else does the rainforest grow out of sand dunes or is there sand with hundreds of different hues of colour? Add to that beautiful freshwater lakes and amazing wildlife and you've got one of what I believe to be the most fascinating places I'll ever visit.

Our first stop was Indian Head which is the main lookout point. You get vast views over the coral sea and the rest of the island. As I sat looking out, I was reminded of how tiny I am on this fascinating planet and could feel myself floating away with my thoughts and the wonderful view.

We got a chance to swim in Eli creek which was just lovely, but not as great as swimming in Lake Mc Kenzie which is one of the beautiful, freshwater lakes. The water was so clear and the sand so fine.  To dry off from swimming, my friend and I decided to go for a walk. We were so glad we did when we turned a corner and found that we were the only people on the whole stretch of beach,it felt like paradise. We were so upset when we realised it was time to go back to the camp for our BBQ. We did think about just staying but realised it would be unfair on the rest of the group as they'd probably wait for us.

On the second day, we took a walk through the rainforest at what is known as Central Station. I was totally blown away by the amazing plants and wildlife. In fact, the widllife on the island in general is absolutely phenominal. I think the dingos are my favourite though. I love how cheeky they are and the how they remind me of my dogs at home. It was so hard to resist petting them or feeding them, but I knew I couldn't.

I loved the place so much, I have decided to try to find work there for a few months. Fingers crossed.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About littlepipes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.