Existing Member?

Big adventures for a little sheila on a huge island Who knows what'll happen next?

Sandblows - Rainbow Beach

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 7 February 2008 | Views [1382]

Rainbow at the sand blow in Rainbow beach

Rainbow at the sand blow in Rainbow beach

I'm feeling absolutely shattered but want to go on this walk that I've heard about that leaves at 3.30pm from one of the hostels. I'm going to be working quite a few afternoons in a row so I know if I don't go today, I'm not going to get a chance for a while.

I wearily drag myself to the hostel where I meet the guy who's leading the walk, Matty Mudcrab. I did mean to ask where that name came from, but forgot. We set off and he begins by showing us some plants and trees which can be used as "bushtucka." I'm absolutely fascinated by  this. One of the flowers from the plant tastes like honey. I can't remember the name, which is useless, I know.

We walk up a really steep bank to reach the sandblow. It takes evey bit of energy I have to make it to the top, but when I do, I'm so glad I did. It's absolutely beautiful. Sandblows are sand dunes piled on top of each other, which have got like that from the weather. As well as the sandblow, we can look out to the sea and double island point on one side and Fraser Island and Tin Can Bay inlet on the other side. The longer I stay in Rainbow Beach, the longer I want to stay. The landscape and nature is absolutely fascinating and I'm enjoying working in the hostel. Only thing is, my bus pass expires soon and I've got quite a few stops still left to make.

We sit down while Matty gives us a history of the landscape and the aboriginal people. The people have been put through so much and are still being put through it until this day. The talk finishes but I'm really keen to find out more. I'm going to do some reading up. I can't believe that the whole walk, talk and tour is free. As we sit, a group of black storm clouds begin to gather. The gather so quickly and are so dark, it's astounding. It looks absolutely amazing over the sandunes and the sea. I try to take photos but my camera doesn't really work. We run for shelter in the forest.

When the storm passes, we come out of hiding. A rainbow has formed over the sea and ending on the sandune. It looks absolutely fantastic. Yet again, I feel enchanted by this amazing country.

We then look at the coloured sands, which is why Rainbow Beach is called Rainbow Beach. It's beautiful. What an amazing place! I've put the Aborginal explanation below as to how the sands got to be so many different colours.

Tags: Culture

About littlepipes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.