Existing Member?

Big adventures for a little sheila on a huge island Who knows what'll happen next?

I can't believe I set off in a week

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 9 December 2007 | Views [222]

It's less a week to go before my exciting adventure to the other side of the world and I'm as organised as ever. That is, if organised is not even having a bag in which to pack the millions of items I can't possible go to Australia without. I wonder if they have hair straigteners in Australia? Hmm. Have to check that one. I'm not your typical backpacker material. At 27, the most backpacking I've done is a two week stint in Catterick with the army cadets! Sure I love seeing different places and it is my life's ambition to travel, but this is going to be the first time I've done it "properly."

Apart from the whole organisation thing, I am actually quite freaked out about this trip. I've decided to turn my whole, cosy, little life totally upside down in pursuit of one my dreams. I've left my job, my house, my five year relationship and the Jack Russell Uma(don't worry, I haven't abandoned her, she lives with my mum and her dog Lila now). If I'm honest, I've been bored and unhappy for some time now and feeling that I want massive changes. Well, never to be one for small measures, I wonder if I've changed enough?

It's the morning I'm due to set off and after waking up every hour, on the hour (petrified that I'll sleep in and miss the plane), I run crashing into my flatmate's room at 6.00am screaming "what if they find drugs in my bag?" "well, are you planning to take drugs in your bag?" "erm, no." "Well how do you suggest they find them then? You really are losing the plot. God, it'll be quiet around here with you." She trys to sound reassuring and calming but I know her well enough to detect that look of 'she's going to need all the help she can get' in her eyes. 

I'm finally packed up and saying goodbye after a morning of mayhem and more ridiculous questions like "what if immigration send me back to the UK?" at which point, Jannine raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow and gave a sympathtic smile - "you'll be fine, I'll miss you."

Tags: The Planning Phase

About littlepipes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.