Existing Member?

European Escapades 8 weeks in Europe, get set for adventure...

2005/01 Sydney to London

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 25 January 2011 | Views [263]

Tuesday 18/01/2005
Woohoo! time to head to the airport, first ever overseas adventure! So excited! Friends drove us to the airport, & joined us for dinner before we said our goodbyes and passed through customs. Flight was delayed and we only just made it out before the evening curfew came into effect, last flight out for the night! So excited couldn't sleep on the plane. Arrived in Singapore's Changi airport and took the opportunity to stretch the legs and step outside for a drink in the cactus garden. Back on the plane, amazing views over the snow capped Himalayas so amazing! Arrived in Heathrow, first stamps in the passport, found the luggage and we were off. Tickets in hand we boarded the Underground bound for the city. We had booked into a hostel at Bayswater close to Hyde Park, and literally 30 seconds walk from the Bayswater tube station and had a red phone box out the front! Had a nap then out for some Indian- bargain buffet for 7 pounds/head.
Thursday 20/01
Woke up early at 7am, still dark! Not long after everyone else was awake, as we were going to find out, the 'daily' fire alarm sounded, as yes someone was burning their toast in the dodgy toaster in the kitchen yet again. After breakfast off to the London Eye... and it's closed, due to excavations next door, for yes, one month, the entire duration of our stay in Europe!
Walked on to Westminster, Big Ben clock tower, houses of parliament & peeked inside Westminster Abbey. On to Trafalgar Square, saw the horse guards coming off duty. Wandered along Regent Street, then off to Earls Court to meet my friend Emma for dinner & a drink at the pub.
Friday 21/01
Awoken to the dulcit tones of said fire alarm. Off through Hyde Park, amused by the squirrels, then on to Buckingham Palace for the change of guard... no it's not on today! It only happens every other day in winter. Seemed I had the best of luck!
The Tower of London was open so onwards we ventured. Saw the crown jewels (very sparkly)then hot footed it over the Tower bridge, so cold out we ran in to the Tube and caught the tube back in to Piccadilly Circus.
Saturday 22/01
Au Revoir London... Paris here we come!

About lissa_05

Sally Gap, Ireland

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.