Existing Member?

European Escapades 8 weeks in Europe, get set for adventure...

2008/02 France to The Channel Islands...

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 27 January 2011 | Views [981]

Dinard Airport

Dinard Airport

Friday 01/08
After breakfast, cab to Dinard airport for our flight to Alderney. We were counting the minutes, walked into the check in hall just as the lady started to page us. We turned around and waved here we are! Vicki asked if it was a full flight and the lady replied, "No, I think you're it!" We were even more excited, now it was as if we had our own charter flight, the plane to ourselves. As we buckled our seat belts the pilot turned around and said "Hi, I thought it was you" she recognised Vicki from when she worked on Alderney. All set for take off. It was a beautiful clear day and we could see all the places we had walked the evening before. After a stopover in Guernsey we boarded the second plane to Alderney. As we flew in we could see the campsite that would be our home for the next few nights. On arrival we collected our luggage from the high tech arrivals hall- a single room with inclined rollers which delivered the bags in and deposited onto the floor with a thud! Vicki called a cab and it arrived within one minute! we took the scenic route past the harbour to Saye campsite. After surveying the lay of the land, we picked out a good flat spot, as we didn't bring airbeds, and set to work on putting up the tent for the first time. Not too long and we were proud home owners!
Walked into town for some lunch and a look around. We made a reservation at Vicki's old work, the Braye Beach Hotel restaurant for dinner that night. Seafood bisque, followed by Seabass with dill & roasted potatoes. Another Vouvray wine to accompany our meal and brandy snap fruit basket for desert. Yum!
After dinner went up to The Albert for a drink and met some of Vicki's old friends out and about.
Saturday 02/08
After a good sleep in and relishing the fact that after moving to a new place every day, we were now staying put for 5 whole days! We walked towards town and one of the local ladies stopped and offered us a lift, so we scrambled into the mini minor and were soon in town. We went down to the Divers Inn by the harbour and ran into Vicki's friends, Ryan, Mark & Biddy. Enjoyed a drink and bowl of hot chips (an English staple food) The boys were headed to the 'Old Barn' for a drink and we joined them. It was quite close to the campsite where we were staying (about the only thing that was!) Made plans to have dinner at Ryan's restaurant that night. Enjoyed steak & chips before rendezvous with the guys at The Chez before heading to the Quarry Party. Quarry Party is the traditional opening night event of Alderney Week, basically a BYO outdoor disco at a disused quarry in the middle of the island. Kicked off around 11.30, two stages, one with techno & the other with retro tunes. the crowd did slowly dwindle but they were still people rocking on at 7am. About seven of us wandered back to Ryans restaurant, chatting and telling jokes all the way, and a few hilarious photos! After 10 we moved on to the pub and had a few rounds of pool. A hearty pub lunch then took ourselves home to the tent & slept through a rather heavy storm.
Monday 04/08
Monday is Cavalcade Day- a mardi gras parade with about a dozen floats and marching band parading through town and to 'The Butes' the cliff top cricket oval where the fete was set up for the afternoon. Ice creams, children dancing, food, drinks & music. the 'highlight' was a 3x plane fly over - which we found quite amusing- Aurigny flys to Alderney every day so it is not unusual to see one of their planes fly over the island! We had a picnic on the lawn, thai curry & champagne. Next event the tug'o'war, we went to cheer on the guys and girls. Around 6pm we met up with the others at the Albert, then to the Old Barn and eventually at a bunker party!
Tuesday 05/08
Watched the kids go mad in the hobby horse races down the beach, and later the Yard of Ale competition at the Rose & Crown. Indian for dinner, then 'Games night' at The Chez, watched the army boys take on the locals in giant jenga & connect four tournament. Ran in to Vicki's mate who works at the airport, who said he could 'upgrade' me on my flight the next day, the seat behind the pilot, first class haha!
Wednesday 06/08
Up early to pack up and into a taxi by 8am. As promised Ian called me to board first & got the seat behind the pilots, great views. Said goodbye to Vicki and set out 'flying solo' as it were for the next 10 days.

Tags: alderney week, camping, island

About lissa_05

Sally Gap, Ireland

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.