Existing Member?

Its all part of the adventure

Finding My Dragon

INDONESIA | Thursday, 26 January 2012 | Views [722]

This year is the Year of the Dragon, Water Dragon to be specific. 

So I have decided to venture into the unknown lands of Komodo Island in search of my very own water dragon. They don't seem pretty, or cuddly. In fact the water dragons of Komodo Island are downright dangerous with saliva that eats at skin, and claws that eat at human hearts. 

I'm a little bit scared so I'm taking my son as protection. He's 9years old. I'm also taking my husband who is much taller and much better protection. 

Its a month prior to our departure and already I am beyond excited. To me the adventure starts as soon as you book the tickets. It extends the holiday - I'm thrilled to be researching and planning and booking little treats along the way. 

We fly into Bali where we'll have a few days in a luxury private villa on the beach. I justified this by suggesting our son will need to acclimatise to the tropical weather and warm surf conditions. (cough cough). In reality I love a but of luxury and I know the villas in Flores are less luxurious. So I'll get my dose of clean sheets before I go. 

We then fly into Lubuanbajo and have booked a nice clean hotel as our base. From here, I really don't know. 

I think we will want to explore the volcanoes - unless they're active! The clear blue lakes at the top of the mountains look heavenly. I want to go there. 

Then a boat trip to Komodo Island to make friends with the natives - Komodo Dragons. My 2011 was a horrible year - perhaps I didn't pray to the gods enough. Im not taking chances with 2012 and beyond, so a visit to the water dragons is integral to my well being. (How easy it is to justify a trip!). 

After spending a few weeks in Flores, we then have another week up our sleeves and I am torn between a villa in Ubud (you get the theme right?) or a villa on one of the Gili Islands of Lombok. What to do, what to do......

Until then, I will keep planning and researching, cos its all part of the adventure. 

Tags: beaches, komodo island, luxury, trekking, villa, volcanoes, water dragons

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.