Existing Member?

Travel Journal Hi Everyone, This is my attempt to keep a Diary of my trip! I expect to edit at least two entries at some point ;-)

The Mystic Blue Mountains

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 22 March 2009 | Views [1194]

Blue Mountains

Blue Mountains

Today we took to the road again and headed inland to the imposing Blue Mountains, so called because the blue gum evaporating from the Eucalyptus forests creates a blue mist giving the mountains a blue tint.

When the colonies first started in Sydney, the blue mountains where a barrier that no one could cross, eventually once they had found a way through it opened up the large agricultural land beyond.

Two hours out of Sydney, we started at Katoomba where you can look out at the Three Sisters rock formation, we then walked round the cliff path and down to the "first sister".

We climbed back up the path and drove further inland to Govets Leap, a lookout over the Eastern Valleys. Here we took another cliff path down to a beautiful waterfall that runs over a sheer cliff face and into the valley floor. There is also a very narrow staircase cut into the rock that leads all the way down the cliffs, some 300 meters.

At the top of the waterfall we could see far in the valley below 3 people starting the long climb up the steps, when we set off back to Govets leap they where half way up the stairs and managed to reach the top at the same time as us.

Once again the views where fantastic and as the valleys are virtually uninhabited when you look out you see virtually the same sight that those first expeditions saw nearly 200 years ago, and according to one inscription even Charles Darwin visited Govets Leap in 1863.

An absolutely awe inspiring day!

Liam

Tags: blue mountains, hike, trekking, walking

 

About liam_omalley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.