Existing Member?

Travel Journal Hi Everyone, This is my attempt to keep a Diary of my trip! I expect to edit at least two entries at some point ;-)

Taronga, Fantastic Hillside Zoo

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 16 March 2009 | Views [992]

Yesterday I decided to take the Ferry into the city, which has to be the most impressive way of entering the harbour.

The ferries opporate very regularly from two streets away at a nice little wharf, and then run directly into Circular quay in the city centre. As you approach you sail underneath the harbour bridge before turnning and passing the Opera House.

You then change to the Zoo Ferry which takes you back out right across the harbour to the far side, approaching the Zoo, hidden in the trees on the hillside.

The zoo itself is spectacular, nothing like the zoos in the UK. It blends into the hillside with fantastic views of the harbour and the city as a backdrop. The animals themselves are wide and varied and all have large living spaces, with regular talks and shows around the zoo. The highlight of these has to be the Birds in Flight display where a range of birds, swoop down to the handler in the middle of an auditorium with the harbour providing a backdrop.

Add to that the fact that I found out that Liverpool won 4-1 and it made for a great day, in my opinion the best yet.

Blog again soon!

Liam

Tags: birds, harbour, house, opera, sydney, taronga, zoo

 

About liam_omalley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.