Existing Member?

Travel Journal Hi Everyone, This is my attempt to keep a Diary of my trip! I expect to edit at least two entries at some point ;-)

Mt Cook & Queenstown

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 7 April 2009 | Views [1100] | Comments [1]

Mount Cook

Mount Cook

Today we set off up along the east coast and stopped for lunch at Fleurs Place, Moaraki before heading inland and into the mountains.

The further we went the more dramatic the scenery became, as we neared the mountains we passed some dams and canals filled with bright blue water, brighter than any I have ever seen. Its colour comes from the glaciers further up in the mountains.

We stopped briefly at lake Pukaki, where tourists usually take pictures with Mt Cook in the background but unfortunately it was raining and we couldn't see the mountain.

We then drove up into Mt Cook Village, at the base of the mountain where we spent the night in a YHA.

The next morning the clouds parted and beautiful blue skies surrounded the mountain. Snow had fallen in the night and the mountains looked beautiful.

We then drove round to a glacial lake that can only be viewed from the top of a hill, the water, filled with little ice bergs, was a chocolate grey, you can kayak in it, but we didn't have the time.

Our next destination was Queenstown via the Clay Cliffs, an amazing formation of clay and stones that runs along a cliff face, the clay cliffs rise up into the air like giant stalagmites.

We carried on southwards through even more impressive scenery winding through mountains before descending into the ski resort of Queenstown where we stayed the night.

The next morning, me and Deirdre needed to get back to Dunedin so we set off early only stopping to watch the Bungy Jumpers at Bungy bridge, the original bridge where they invented Bungy Jumping.

Liam

Tags: blue, bungy, dam, glacier, lake, mountain, mt cook, new zealand, queenstown

 

Comments

1

O MALLEY......HOW ARE THE DEVIL ARE YOU..
LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING SOME PICTURES OF NEW ZWALAND, I ALWAYS WANTED TO GO THERE BUT NEVER GOT THE MONEY TOGETHER...
WE FINISHED THE W HOUSE, I WOULD PUT A COUPLE OF PICTURES ON FOR YOU BUT YOU KNOW ME I HAVENT GOT THE FOGGIEST IDEA HOW TO DO IT.I ALSO CHANGED THE COURIERS TO DPD AND G/HALL ARE MAKING A COCK UP UP OF IT...
I MISSED HAVING YOU AROUND FOR THAT BIT.
LIVERPOOL WON TODAY 4/0 AND UTD WON 2/1 AT SUNDERLAND.
CHELSEA WERE WINNING 4/0 AGAINST BOLTON AND FINISHED 4/3..
I`LL FINISH THERE SPEAK AGAIN SOON
GEOFF

  GEOFF Apr 12, 2009 5:36 AM

About liam_omalley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.