Existing Member?

West 2 East

At Journey's End........

CHINA | Thursday, 26 August 2010 | Views [389]

I am now back at Peizheng College as the new school term will begin from Monday, Aug 30.

My last port of call during my holidays was Shamian Island, Guangzhou, where I aimed to relax and catch up on some much needed rest from all of my galavanting about.  How wrong I was.  

Shamian Island was the place of settlement for foreigners many years ago and most of the buildings to be seen here are original.  On my wander around the island I came across a couple of signs stating "Consulate of.........".

There are some good restaurants around and one which I quite liked was the Orient Express at the end of the road of my hotel.  This restaurant serves French courses and wine.  I had Deep fried Cammy on a bead of salad and toast, followed by a very tender filet steak and washed down with a glass of French red wine.  A very expensive restaurant for Chinese standards, but worth the taste.

As I was kept so busy running around Guangzhou taking care of business, I didn't have a lot of time to take pictures and aim to go back again another day to complete this task. Perhaps my main reason for not doing this is a lot of work was happening on the island during my stay there for the Asian Games in November.

My next journey is being planned for the October holidays, where we will have 7 days off and I am looking at going to Xiamen, Fujian Province.  I have an old students there who has promised to be my official guide.  This could be interesting as he has a habit of getting lost.  Another of my student's here may also come with me, as this is her home province and also wants me to see her home town and meet her parents.  

Keep watching for further updates as they happen and find out if I did make it to Xiamen or not! 

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.