Existing Member?

West 2 East

Beijing

CHINA | Wednesday, 11 August 2010 | Views [622]

After 6.5 years, I finally made it to Beijing, although I didn't get to see a lot of it. The weather was perfect on day 1, so much cooler than what I have been experiencing.  I met up with Farr, who use to work at my school and it was good seeing him again and knowing all is well in the big smoke.  I waived dinner that night as my flight was delayed and for a few hours and opted for bed and a good nights sleep.

After catching on some mail, I trotted out and wandered around the area I was at.  I could not believe how empty the roads and footpaths were as I am so use to people being everywhere I venture to.  It felt kinda eerie, but really peaceful. After unloading my purse a the local shopping mall, I ventured back to get ready for dinner.  After hooking up with Farr and Jasmine, his girlfriend, we decided on gracing our presence at the local Beijing Duck restaurant, where we ordered way too much and left much heavier than when we entered.  I just love Beijing Duck!

Next day was spent mainly doing some washing and heading in the other direction of the previous day.  Here I found a great tea house, named Semosa Garden Tea House, well on the front of the building it says Semosa and on their flyer it says Samosa.  All the same I sat myself down at a table outside, which looked just like a small garden.  there was soft music playing and the staff were great.  One girl there spoke very good English and her name is Margaret.  If you ever go to Beijing, search for this tea house and ask for Margaret.  I just know she will look after you.  On my last night in Beijing, I went back to have a second helping of tomato noodles and their Logan Healthy tea.  Margaret presented me with a small gift and wished me well on my travels and hoped to see me back there again.

That night, the three of us bombarded another local restaurant and also enjoyed another great meal. (I was so glad the hotel didn't have any scales in my room) :-) Then we walked around looking at everything around us.  The Chinese call it 'shopping' and I never cease to hear this.

Saturday afternoon took us downtown to an area where the Hutongs are and of which is also near the Bell Drum tower.  Again there was hardly anyone in sight and I just lapped it up. The Hutongs hold a very long history in China and when there among them, one can sense this.  As we walked down one of the streets, I remembered I hadn't had lunch yet and was why I felt a little hungry.  We found a bar and wandered in for a snack and a much needed drink.  Whilst there, a group of people came in and started hanging posters up.  Farr told me there was to be a party there that night for some organisation celebrating their 2nd year.  It seems the whole place was booked out for the night just for this event.  While watching them set up, they showed some pics, which must have been taken while they were in the big cap.  (Seems they were from Guangdong Province).  Most of the pics were out of focus and all of them were of the members posing with their 'rabbit ears', as I call them. I thought I was bad at taking pictures and now I don't feel that way at all :-) 

Next day, Sunday off we toddled to view the Summer Palace, which was quite some distance and we elected to hop on a bus.  On the way we passed Renmin University, which one hears a lot about and all around China.  Thos is one of the biggest uni's in China and all kids want to go there to study.  Next we pass Peking Uni, also just like the previous one - huge and very popular with all.

Finally we make it the palace and now I know where all the people in Beijing are - Summer Palace!  Don't ever go to this place on a weekend, it is absolutely crowded.  The palace is very large and one could spend a whole day there and not see all of it.  The part I saw, mainly the lake is only a very small part of the whole array, but is beautiful.  One day I will go back and see it again, only this time I will go during the week and when everyone is at work and school :-)  It was a lot cheaper to get into than I expected, only 30 RMB and that ticket just bought you the way in and out.  If you want to go in and see other things etc, it will cost you more, all depending on what you wish to see.

Far and I walked, in total of about 5 hours that afternoon and I was beat when we finally arrived back at my hotel, around 6pm.  On our way back, we did stop off and viewed the 'Mini shopping', as you can see in one of my pictures.  How they got this up there, is beyond me, but looks quite effective.

Next day I left Beijing and headed back to Hangzhou.  My planned trip to Xinjiang has been postponed for now, as my student never answered my message, so I guess she never got it. Always another day and I will get there one day or year.

As for my extra time in Hangzhou, nothing special will be happening and then I will head back to Guangzhou for about a week before heading back to school and preparing once again for the new school term.

Stay tuned for notification of my next adventure in China, which is planned for the October holidays and I will go to Fujian province, visiting Xiamen and anywhere else I have time to get to in a week.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.