Existing Member?

Backpacking with Style Hello! Welcome to our travel blog! Read on to find out what CLifton Rotary get up to in Nepal. Enjoy!

paradise and paragliding

NEPAL | Friday, 23 November 2007 | Views [812] | Comments [4]

23rd Nov

Waiting in Pokhara this morning for one of those experiences that a few of us are foolhardy enough to do. Don’t know about the rest, but for me it is along the lines of climbing Sydney Harbour Bridge just because I am 50 – this time it is paragliding over Pokhara! I’ll not say who else is doing it!

We have just had an incredible trip up from Pokhaha to a lodge owned by Narendra and Chandra – must be one of the best places to stay in th eworld with stunning views up a gorge filed with blue-white water from mineral deposits and overshadowed by Fishtail and the Annapurnas. Good beds, proper toilets – Shangri-La and paradise were heard as people tried to find words to describe it. Even by moonlight it was incredible as the mineral rich water perfectly reflected the light to compliment the snowcapped peaks. In front of the lodge is a round patio area with stepped seating around the sides to allow a perfect view. We jokingly suggested to Chandra that he needed a large fire bowl for us to sit round all evening rather than going inside to eat. 5 minute later a wheelbarrow has had its wheel removed and in propped up on a stone with a log fire which burned all evening. The next morning we trekked through jungle, passing monkeys and adding to our list of birds – the most impressive of which had been 2 lammergeyers wheeling above us as we arrived. We reached a Magar village with buffalos threshing rise, dung fueled methane gas works, drying millet and soy beans and other ‘medieval’ farming practices.

 

Soon time to trek out of the valley to catch the public bus back to Pokhara and visit the Gurkha museum – great memories triggered for me of my time with QGE – photos of Perowne barracks and Sekkong swimming pool!

 

I’ll keep this short as local computers seem incapable of dealing with large chunks of text or photos. As long as all the paragliders are OK we will have a big party on Narendra’s roof terrace tonight as a farewell to Pokhara as it is back to KTM tomorrow.

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Thanks for the email - can't believe you went paragliding! There are going to be sooo many photos, will one evening be enough?

  leigh-and-tim Nov 23, 2007 7:39 PM

2

Paragliding ? I hope you counted them all out and counted them all in ! Don't forget the baths.

  David Garrett Nov 23, 2007 8:00 PM

3

Sounds like you're all having a good time! paragliding Dad? what next?? It'll be a skydive for your birthday!! looking forward to seeing photos and vids as a students at school.
xxx

  Corinne Nov 24, 2007 9:27 PM

4

It all sounds unreal sitting here on a cold evening. we are looking forward to seeing all of your photographs.
Trust that everyone landed safely after the paragliding. A demonstration back in England will be necessary to prove that you were all" fit for purpose".
Elizabeth Sackett was excellent last wed lunch and "did Dotha Houston Rotary Club proud". Next Wed will see you all "back to earth" where you will be given a great welcome form the club.

  Bill & mary Lee Nov 25, 2007 5:07 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.