Existing Member?

Backpacking with Style Hello! Welcome to our travel blog! Read on to find out what CLifton Rotary get up to in Nepal. Enjoy!

arrived in pokhara

NEPAL | Tuesday, 20 November 2007 | Views [913] | Comments [5]

14th November. Well we arrived safely in Kathmandu after good flights and being met at the airport by dawa and a motley crew of porters who needed tipping. First garlands were hung round necks. Minibus ride in was usual weaving though traffic, pedestrians and cows. Saw the squalor, funeral pyres and monkeys,  so reminded me that it is a place to see once! H0tel Manaslu comfortable but  Dawa presented another change to program – no direct flights to suketar so via birat at 8 in the morning! Able to hand over$536 each for all the flights. Walked into thamel to look around and eat at a restaurant with dancing. The bill at the end NR1000 each – exchange rate 127 to pound!

Taxi back organised for hopalong then mit and I lost the rest of them who had just set off to walk back.  Annoying questions seem to be diminishing so I may start being less of a tour guide soon.

 

 

20th Lots of catching up to do due to lack of internet and power for much of the eastern end of  trip. Many of the party now sympathise with Prince Philip as they tagged along with a series of occasions where ‘Dr Tim Sahib’ was the star attraction as well the  very special health post opening and a school opening. Two plaques to unveil and then a succession of banners across roads welcoming dr Tim and his party. These were followed by much garlanding and clapping, dancing and singing and then requests for support for their particular project. We were really representing PTN for much of the time so just made speeches that didn’t commit anyone to anything!.

Met lots of old friends in the high villages as well as back in Dharan and Bedetar which is just up into the hills. Jerry and I went to the proposed site of a Gurkha Memorial Park high above Dharan. A new road is supposed to be being created but it was a real 4 wheel drive landrover track for about 50 mins each way. Over a dry river bed an dup the other side. Beautiful place and a great project to support in some way. We also checked out the old BMH Dharan, not sure what the others thought about walking through A+E and various wards on our guided tour.

 

Evening meal on a roof top with Dharan Gopa Rotary club – 80% doctors so talking shop most of the night. Good food and hospitality. Flight to KTM yesterday afternoon with time for quick check in and off to Rum Doodle Bar. Filled in a Yeti Footprint with our details, seemed to be the only Rotary rondel in the place. Have already booked there for our last night

Up at 6am (everyone getting used to that) for breakfast and 8pm flight to Pokhara. Early morning fog meant a delay to 9.30 but all forgiven as we had fabulous views of the mountains. Pokhara beautiful in the sun with the lake, fishtail mountain and the Annapurnas. Free time (at last said some) to wander, shop and sightsee. Some have been on the lake and riding bikes. Some planning paragliding from high up back down to the lakeside. Photos to die for I imagine.

 

Peter, Geoff, Keith and Jerry are preparing for the trek to Singdi school tomorrow and the rest of us will head for the hot springs. Basic accommodation there so only one night before coming back to Pokhara for my room with a bath (first since Bristol) and mountains an lakes out of the window!

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

fantastic to hear from you - looking forward to the slide show (s!!)

  leigh-and-tim Nov 20, 2007 9:19 PM

2

Sounds like fun, if a little strenuous. Please all take baths before coming home. Didn't know the President had any horse riding skills to improve upon. Membership may be going south but we can do without the Yeti.

  David and Sandy Nov 21, 2007 10:23 AM

3

It is great to hear some news especially as I have no contact with David, thanks to Orange. Look forward to more news and your safe home coming.

  lesley Nov 21, 2007 8:00 PM

4

Thinking of you often. Rum doodle bars and yeti sounds best. We look forward to your safe return and can't wait to hear the stories.

  Steve and Haze Nov 22, 2007 5:36 AM

5

Sounds as if you are having a great time. Feel quite envious.... maybe I can come on the next trip.Hope all goes well on the journey home. Looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing the stories.

  Carolynne Nov 23, 2007 9:53 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.