Existing Member?

Leah Down Under

wine country and other delights

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 5 January 2009 | Views [626]

After a stop at Torndirrip National Park in Albany (a couple cool rock formations on the coast), we finally rolled into greener pastures, literally. The Denmark and Walpole areas are fantastic...rolling hills, farmland, big leafy trees, cool rivers, great wineries and greater cheese factories. Here, we met up with friends and finally got out of the tent and into a nice cabin in Walpole. A morning spent winery-hopping led to an afternoon at William Bay National Park. We also explored the Valley of the Giants (a forest of big tingle trees) from great heights and swam in the Circular Pool (a rocky area where the water from a river pools - red water, might I add, from the iron ore, apparently. my feet were red in the water...it was creepy).

On our way home, we stopped at the Gloucester Tree...a very tall karri tree outside of Pemberton that used to be used as a fire lookout. You can climb to the top to lookout from a platform. There is no safety...just a bunch of metal pegs drilled into the trunk winding all the way around to the top. It's a little disturbing, but worth it.

Photos in the Countryside gallery

at a winery

at a winery

Tags: denmark, walpole, western australia, wine country

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.